Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seriously frozen..

Options
Tbonez3858
Tbonez3858 Posts: 102
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
I've got a small lump fire in the bottom with my Cyberque fan blowing on it..It's been going an for about an hour and it still isn't budging.....any other ideas?

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited January 2014
    Options
    If you have a fire going, it should thaw pretty quick.  Are you sure it's frozen and not a fused gasket from a hot cook?
    Options
    I guess it could be fused...The last cook was a 450 degree hamburger cook. Is that high enough for a fuse? If so what's the best way to unfuse it?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I would remove the fan, remove DFMT and open bottom vent. stuff some newspaper in the bottom and relight. don't put the fan back. maybe aim a hairdryer at the lower opening. that's what I would have done - if I had ever had a frozen egg.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Loosemoose
    Options
    Last time mine froze I had over 250 dome temp before it thawed out.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    When you get the BGE open, next time you shut down, put aluminum foil on the lower gasket surface all the way around (don't sweat some gaps) and then shut the dome.  Never had a freeze problem.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tjcoley
    Options

I guess it could be fused...The last cook was a 450 degree hamburger cook. Is that high enough for a fuse? If so what's the best way to unfuse it?
    Most often fused gaskets happen after a clean burn or 600+ degree pizza cook.  If the Egg is getting warm on the outside from the fire you have going, and it still won't open, probably not due to freezing.  If the gasket is fused, you can use a putty knife to help release by sliding it in between the dome and base, keeping in mind you will need to replace the gasket after that. 
    Options
    What dome temp have you been able to get it to?