Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Publix "Manager's Special"

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
Not sure what the deal was, but I was in Publix picking up NY Strips for a family get together, and was cruising the rest of the meat section looking for deals.  I frequently see meats marked way down with a Manager's Special sticker...but those are usually steaks that have obviously sat a while, are turning brown or other "off colors" and look like they should have been sold days ago.  Sure enough, tonight there were some otherwise really nice looking porterhouse steaks on Manager's Special, but they looked old.  Then I wandered over to the Greenwise meats, and they had a whole bunch of bone-in ribeye steaks on Manager's Special ($5.99/lb IIRC).  The confusing thing was, most of them looked fresh and perfect.  I picked up two roughly 1lb ones and just finished foodsavering them for the freezer.

After doing 5 .75lb NY Strips tonight, and 3 slabs of baby backs tomorrow (just finished prepping those), I just can't see eating the ribeyes until maybe next weekend or later.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I still wonder about the grocers that people are shopping at where the steaks are described as turning "brown". Dark steaks are a fantastic way to save on meat purchases, but I would never describe a "dark" steak as brown. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    If they would just unwrap them and let them sit in the cooler for a couple of months they could sell them at a huge premium

Steve 

Caledon, ON