Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware chimney cap gasket

Options
I have a question for those of you who have the Smokeware or eggware stainless chimney cap.  I just received mine in the mail today and the gasket material is grey in color. Is this the new material that is not supposed to melt, I'm used to nomex being white. Unless this is that new meta aramid material. Just wanted to make sure before I put it on the egg. Don't want to go through the melt down like was shown on the naked whiz site.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    edited December 2013
    Options
    That is the correct gasket. Now why not do like I did and attach the gasket to the inside of your new SmokeWare instead of on the neck of your egg! That way when you do a burn out the gasket is out of harms way.

• RRP
    Options
    I have a question for those of you who have the Smokeware or eggware stainless chimney cap.  I just received mine in the mail today and the gasket material is grey in color. Is this the new material that is not supposed to melt, I'm used to nomex being white. Unless this is that new meta aramid material. Just wanted to make sure before I put it on the egg. Don't want to go through the melt down like was shown on the naked whiz site.
    Matt is selling the white Nomex gasket - did you buy it directly or from another source. If the latter then it may be old stock from before the change was made. If bought directly then just call Matt and ask about it.
  • jenericzac
    Options
    I planned on attatching the gasket to the inside of the cap. Just wanted to make sure about the material first. Your gasket looks white. Mine is grey but doesn't really look like the standard egg gasket. Tried calling but no answer yet
  • jenericzac
    Options
    Got through on the phone. It is Nomex on the gasket, just blended to appear gray.  Thanks for the help.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Mine is white.  I put it on the inside of the cap, it works just fine at all temps.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • freduc2
    Options
    Just received mine last week and it's gray. Probably turn black eventually anyway.
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I just received one of the caps for Christmas and was getting ready to install when I saw this thread. Sounds like most prefer to install the gasket inside the cap. If so, do you place it towards the top, so that it's in roughly the same place that's recommended on the chimney?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• RRP
    Options
    Below the slots in the male portion of the cap - check the picture I posted this morning...
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Thanks @RRP

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle