Hey folks, new to the forum here. Had my first try on the new Egg on Christmas Day. Smoked an ~8 lb butt between 250-270 for almost 10 hours (internal temp hit about 198 when I had to pull to head to the in-laws). Had an equal parts salt/pepper/garlic powder rub with CYM as a base and threw in a little ground mustard, paprika and chili powder. A couple of questions
1) it seemed I would get spikes of temperature raise during the cook. I attributed this to new charcoal flaring up, but thought it could also be due to wood flaring (I used 5 chunks of Hickory)
2) I had the hickory on the top of the charcoal pile. Is it better to layer throughout?
3) No pre-soak on the hickory. Any thoughts on whether this is worth it?
4) Should I rub the sides as well?
5) Cooked this fat side up, is this correct?
Pics attached, looking for new recipes and planning the next party!