Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try

Hey folks, new to the forum here. Had my first try on the new Egg on Christmas Day.  Smoked an ~8 lb butt between 250-270 for almost 10 hours (internal temp hit about 198 when I had to pull to head to the in-laws). Had an equal parts salt/pepper/garlic powder rub with CYM as a base and threw in a little ground mustard, paprika and chili powder. A couple of questions
1) it seemed I would get spikes of temperature raise during the cook.  I attributed this to new charcoal flaring up, but thought it could also be due to wood flaring (I used 5 chunks of Hickory)
2) I had the hickory on the top of the charcoal pile.  Is it better to layer throughout?
3) No pre-soak on the hickory.  Any thoughts on whether this is worth it?
4) Should I rub the sides as well?
5) Cooked this fat side up, is this correct?

Pics attached, looking for new recipes and planning the next party!

Comments

• Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128

Looks good. 

1- Temp spikes could be from a variety of things including those you mentioned.

2- I like to layer throughout to ensure a longer lasting smoke.

3- I never presoak my chunks but some folks do.

4- I always rub the sides as well.  The more of that delicious bark you can mix into the pulled pork the better the flavor. 

5- I cook fat side up. 

Have fun...I have become somewhat of an addict since I got my first green egg!

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Not sure about the temp spikes but I layer my wood chunks and do not soak.  I would season all sides of the meat and I think the camp will be split on fat cap up or down.  I do mine up.  Congrats on the egg and enjoy.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • temp spikes could be from wind  the wind blows and could cause a rush of air into the Egg causing a temp spike .As far as soaking wood chances I don't and on low and slows I like to layer the lump with the wood chunks so I get good smoke all thru the cook 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Looks like a Damn good first cook. I agree with the comments above, and do not layer. Most of the smoke will be absorbed during the first hour or so. Also, hot wood produces smoke, and hot water produces stream, so I'm firmly in the no soak boat. Enjoy, this is a great forum with some really great members.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • 1) it seemed I would get spikes of temperature raise during the cook. I attributed this to new charcoal flaring up, but thought it could also be due to wood flaring (I used 5 chunks of Hickory)
      - Temperature spikes happen just like mentioned above
    2) I had the hickory on the top of the charcoal pile. Is it better to layer throughout?
      - I layer chips throughout and chunks on top
    3) No pre-soak on the hickory. Any thoughts on whether this is worth it?
     - Pre-soaking your chips or chunks is a waste of time IMHO, do a study yourself on the chunks. Soak a chunk in water for 24 hours and then cut it inhalf and look at the water penetraition as it is normally very minimal, like 1/16"
    4) Should I rub the sides as well?
     - All surfaces of the meat should be coated as this will just add to the flavor profile after the meat is all mixed together.
    5) Cooked this fat side up, is this correct?
     - Fat up or down is preference, fat up I have found I don't get the normal bark I like so I cook fat down as to help insulate from the heat below. This is one of the debates like which came first, chicken or the egg........

Looks and sounds like a great first cook!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• I used to do fat side up, but switched to down when I realized there was not taste difference, and if anything stuck to the grates, it was fat and not precious bark covered meat.
    Pentwater, MI