Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Temp problems!!

So I'm roasting a turkey right now and the dome thermometer which is calibrated it reading 350 but my two grate thermometers are reading 325 and The turkey is cooking way too fast but is it possible that BOTH grate thermometers are off(one is a digiq dx2 and the other is a maverick redi-check) Thanks and merry christmas!

Comments

• Are u cooking direct or indirect? If direct the grate temps are right. I do turkeys indirect
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Indirect @hogaholic
  • DMWDMW Posts: 12,119
    25* diff between dome and grid is not uncommon. As far as the cook rate, as it rises the rate of rise will slow if the cook temp is constant. I think you'll be fine.
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,983
    @DMV is right..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • 25* even thought the grate is hotter?
    @henapple @DMW
  • DMWDMW Posts: 12,119
    I have seen the difference both ways, dome hotter and grid hotter. Just don't chase it, keep it stable and they will even out. 
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
  • they will level out.. give it time
    Beaufort, SC
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,983
    I haven't noticed a huge difference in 250-275. The only time I see a difference is 215-240.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN