Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off-topic, Dutch Oven Cooking

Options
Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I saw a PBS series called "Dutch Oven and Camp Cooking". It features a guy from Idaho making all sorts of food outdoors while camping. Most of his stuff s done in dutch ovens. Ofcourse there is a cookbook and video to go with the show.[p]I am wondering if anyone has experience with this cookbook or other dutch oven/camp cookbooks.[p]Thanks.[p]Fritz
[ul][li]Dutch Oven & Camp Cooking PBS Series[/ul]

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    FAQ_Ca1.jpg
    <p />Fritz, no experience with cookbooks but I have used a Dutch oven for Chili and Baked Beans on the egg - both were great - if you find any additional recipes, please post!

• Unknown
    Options
    Fritz, I often use my little "Dutchie" for making cobblers
    for yummy deserts do go along with pulled pork. After Mr.
    Butt has been harvested from the egg and "put to rest" in
    the cooler, I put "Dutchie" and fixin's on the egg and let
    'em cook for 30 to 45 minutes at around 325 degrees. A
    little hot apple cobbler with ice cream after some yummy
    pulled pork is heavenly! Give it a try!

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Fritz:[p]I cook chili and a family Brunswick stew recipe in cast iron on my cooker. I do so with the lid off to capture a nice smoke flavor to complement the subtle taste provided by the cast iron. A fellow by the name of Bob Rire? in Arizona has two basic books on cast iron that gor me started several years ago. There are many good books on the subject today. An Internet search will produce several links for recipes and equipment for your review. Watch out how much research you do because you just might get hooked!

• Unknown
    Options
    Fritz,
    I am a brand new Egg owner-still on the pallet as we speak. I am also on the Board of the International Dutch Oven Society. I have no experience combining the BGE and Dutch ovens yet, but if you go to our web site www.idos.com you will get a lot of recipes and sources for cookbooks and supplies for Dutch ovens. I am looking forward to this new challenge!

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    rk,[p]Thanks for the link to the IDOS website. I had no idea there was Dutch Oven society, but I'm glad there is. [p]Z