Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling CookBooks

Options
Stopped in my local Barnes & Noble today and was overwhelmed by their selection of grilling cookbooks .... any tips on what are some of the better ones?
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    This forum.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • khristyjeff
    Options
    Real Grilling and Charcoal Grilling are 2 books from Weber that helped me get beyond just burgers, steak, chops and chicken. Good photos and easy to follow recipes.   
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    By FAR this and the old forum. Not even close.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang.

Darn it ... almost walked out the door with this one! Just couldn't make any decisions at the time. I just want a few nice grilling cookbooks to help ease the pain of always tryin to figure out what to fix. That, for me, is the hardest part.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    You know APL actually has a lot of the recipes in the book on his web page. You can find a lot of the better ones there if you want some ideas. But the book is good - everything I've tried from it so far has been fantastic, with maybe one exception.
  • SmokingInMO
    Options
    Any of Dr BBQ books are excellent
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options

+1 on Serious BBQ

Wicked Good Burgers is good burger book

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Charcuterie
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    I just got the Serious BBQ book. What are ya'lls fav recipes out of it? I see several that look fantastic and I can't wait to try.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    IDK but the "rack of lamb crusted with grain mustard and chili powder" sounds FABULOUS !!!!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I just got the Serious BBQ book. What are ya'lls fav recipes out of it? I see several that look fantastic and I can't wait to try.

Not sure I have a favorite yet, but the pork tenderloins glazed with peach preserves were phenomenal. I liked them better than the blackberry tenderloin recipe from the BGE cookbook, but some of my family disagree. I've tried both ribeye recipes - cowboy and Worcestershire-marinated. I actually prefer the latter, though I just do the glaze. Steaks come out great. The only recipe that hasn't worked for me is his one for short ribs with fleur de sel. It's a lot of work, and at the end for me the ribs were just too fatty. I'll prolly try it again someday though.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I have most of the books mentioned, and I still would also recommend steve raichlens "how to grill: the complete illustrated book of bbq techniques". It literally has step by step instructions for each recipe with detailed pictures of each step. Lang's book and wicked good burgers are both excellent, too, but if you are looking for simple and thorough, check out reichlen's.

Little Rock, AR

• alabamatom
    Options
    Besides the distinguished members of the form, I really like 2 books to get ideas from & to use as a guide for planning recopies.  Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry & Cook's Illustrated's Grilling & Barbecue. I am about ready to get a new copy of the latter since it is almost falling apart, started using it long ago when I started out as a Weber guy. 
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Thanks much folks! This has been a very informative and helpful thread for me. Is the Big Green Egg cookbook worth the look also?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thanks much folks! This has been a very informative and helpful thread for me. Is the Big Green Egg cookbook worth the look also?

NO
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Mickey said:

NO

I agree... I have it and never look at it.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    It would make a great fire starter =))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.