Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing Fan on CyberQ

Options
Anyone have any ideas for a way to prevent the fan in the CyberQ from freezing up in these below zero temps? My last few cooks I've had to contend with the fan freezing up when moisture from the cook builds up.
XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin

Comments

• Romain
    Romain Posts: 52
    Options
    This is the second post in only a few days I've seen about the fan freezing up on a CyberQ. That hasn't happened to me yet. I also have and use a CyberQ for my low and slows and have used it during temps in the teens and low 20's. Haven't had my fan freeze on me yet but I have found a small hill of ice that formed overnight from the condensation dripping onto the deck. My condensation seems to puddle in the bottom track of the vent slider, and from there drip onto the deck. So far, for me, it doesn't appear to back up into the the square ceramic adapter and then into the fan. I do keep the fan's adjustable draft door(??) closed to about the highest mark severally limiting the air blowing in so maybe that acts as an internal damn and prevents condensation from getting into the fan. The only solution that I can thing that I can think of that would prevent the condensation from freezing is maybe an application of heat tape. It comes in a variety of sizes and shapes, is fairly cheap, and some can be found at Lowes or Home Depot in a pinch. A wider selection exists on the internet. Might also be called flex watt heat tape.
    Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA