Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chicago Italian Beef - Help!

danv23danv23 Posts: 538
Hey all,

I lived in Chicago my first 28 years, and moved to the great state of GA where I have remained for the last 13 years.  I miss Chicago style Italian beef like you cannot imagine.  I've searched the internet for recipes, tried a few, and they all sucked.  I don't want pulled beef, I have a meat slicer, and I am prepared to do whatever is necessary to replicate the holiest of all "sangwiches".  Please, recipe me!

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
·

Comments

• danv23 said:
    Hey all,

I lived in Chicago my first 28 years, and moved to the great state of GA where I have remained for the last 13 years.  I miss Chicago style Italian beef like you cannot imagine.  I've searched the internet for recipes, tried a few, and they all sucked.  I don't want pulled beef, I have a meat slicer, and I am prepared to do whatever is necessary to replicate the holiest of all "sangwiches".  Please, recipe me!

The Toronto veal is the holiest of all Italian sangweeches but I have had Large Marge's Chicago beef and they are pretty damn good.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=410790&catid=1

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,269
    Never lived in Chicago but used to go TDY there very often, and I miss Portillo's.  Thanks for the link, LS!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • This is great. 

Closest I've seen to Chicago Italian beef sangwiches. 
    The giardiniera uses jalapenos rather than peperoncini, suggest using peperoncini if you can find them.

I do the "steam" on the egg, it works fine. 
    (Have some pics but they will not upload)
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 1,347
    I brown a chuck roast, then use some wine to deglaze.  Dump it in a dutch oven or crock pot, then add strained giardiniera, peperoncinis, bouquet garni, Italian dressing, bay leaf, parmigiano rinds, and then enough beef broth to almost cover the beef.  Let it sit for 12 hrs and strain it.  Reduce the liquid and add start/flour/etc if it needs to be thickened.  Pull the beef and add the reduced juices.

Connect:  Website  -  Facebook  -  Twitter

·
  • danv23 said:
    Hey all,

Funny, I was in GA my first 22 years and have been in Chicago the last 12.  Missing GA winters right now for sure.
    Chicago, Illinois
    ·
  • danv23danv23 Posts: 538
    Just threw on a 5lb rump roast @ 400.  We will see how she goes!

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
    ·
  • ·