Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket keep!

Options
i have read on multiple site as well as here that people wrap their briskets in towels and then put them into a cooler. i have done this twice and it has kept my brisket moist and hot. my question is how much more does it cook/or how much will the internal temp actually rise? or does it just allow the muscles to relax and retain moisture? also, if i was to smoke a brisket over night and have it done in the morning how many hours could i keep in in the cooler and have it ready to eat. for example, could i have it done in the morning (then sit in the cooler) and take it out at dinner time and still have it fresh/hot? 

Comments

• Coletrain
    Options
    I guess it all depends on your cooler. I have a couple cambro's and they are rated by how many hours the will hot hold. I have a big one rated for 6 and a smaller one rated for 4 hours. I put a whole cooked hog in my yeti one time and it was just as hot 6 hours later as when I put it in there.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    We kept one brisket for 7 hours in a cooler and it worked out great.  What I do is fill the cooler with hot water for at least 5 minutes before putting the meat in and I think it will make the cooler work better at keeping the meat hot.  I don't think there is any cooking going on in the cooler, we have served brisket after a 15 or 20 minute rest and it was tender and juicy.

Gerhard