Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with poblanos

Options
Essex County
Essex County Posts: 991
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
PeppersOctober2005007.jpg
<p />We got a frost scare last night. So, I picked all of our peppers, mostly poblanos but also some bell, habenero, jalapeno, thai, and italian. Has anyone had luck smoking peppers? I've tried this a couple of times but can't keep the fire low enough or just haven't had the patience to get the result I'm looking for. My backup plan is to make a poblano ketchup. Any thoughts on what to do with them would be appreciated. Got a lot of 'em![p]Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    Essex County,[p]Here is a recipe I use for poblanos. [p]Pasted from <http://www.bbqu.net/recipes/310_2.html&gt;
    Barbecued Bean & Cheese Chili Rellenos
    Source: BBQ USA by Steven Raichlen
    Method: indirect grilling
    Serves: 6
    · 6 large poblano peppers or green bell peppers
    · 2 cans (16 ounces each) low-sodium pinto beans or black beans
    · 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for drizzling
    · 1 medium onion, finely chopped
    · 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    · 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped (for a hotter filling, leave the seeds in)
    · 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
    · 1/4 fresh cilantro, chopped
    · 1/4 cup hulled pumpkin seeds (optional; see Note)
    · 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    · 1 to 3 teaspoons of your favorite hot sauce, or more to taste
    · 3 cups (about 12 ounces) pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, or white Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
    · Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
    You'll also need:
    · 1 cup wood chips or chunks (preferably mesquite), soaked for 1 hour in water to cover, then drained
    1. If using poblano peppers, cut them in half lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds. If using bell peppers, cut off the tops about 1/2 inch below the stems. Scrape out the veins and seeds, taking care not to puncture the bottoms.
    2. Drain the beans, place them in a colander, rinse under cold running water, then drain again.
    3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeños, red bell pepper, cilantro, pumpkin seeds, if using, and cumin and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in the beans, hot sauce, and 2 cups of the cheese. Taste for seasoning, adding salt, pepper, and/or more hot sauce as necessary. Spoon the bean mixture into the hollowed-out peppers. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top, dividing it evenly among the peppers. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the cheese.
    4. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium. If using a gas grill, place all of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat on high until you see smoke, then reduce heat to medium. If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to medium, then toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.
    5. When ready to cook, place the peppers in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook the peppers until they are tender and the cheese is browned and bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes. Use a spatula to transfer the peppers to a platter or plates and serve at once.
    NOTE: Hulled pumpkin seeds (pepitas) are available at natural food stores and Hispanic markets.
    © 2005 Steven Raichlen |

• LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Options
    Essex County,
    I got an Idea. Send some to me.
    How about stuffing the Bells, making some salsa with the Jalapeno's, and I would love to try a Habenero ABT. That's got to be firey.
    LOG

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    JM3,
    i made these after you posted it a while back. couldnt find the pumkin seeds and used pine nuts instead. really good. made lots and nuked them at work during the week. problem in new england is that the pepper section just says exotics, i used what i believe were poblanos, a little too hot for some guests, but just right for me

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Essex County,
    With the poblanos in particular, I'd roast, peel and freeze them. I used to slit them down the side after peeling and seeding; then lay them flat between layers of plastic on a baking sheet to freeze. When they're frozen, peel them off and bag for later use. You can get one frozen pepper at a time that way.[p]HTH
    Ken

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Essex County,
    I have been using my hot pepper crop (habaneros, jalapenos, cayennes) to make hot pepper jellies. So far I have made Habanero jelly, Pecan Jalapeno jelly, and Pineapple Habanero jelly. I haven't gotten the heat just right yet, but I am almost there. Great condiment served with cheese and crackers or for basting a pork tenderloin towards the end of cooking. Make great gifts for spice loving friends. Let me know if you need recipes.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    bigmikej,
    ive been thinking of grape pepper jelly, concords are real sweet right now, please send me one of those recipes and ill try to make it with the grapes

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bigmikej,[p]I would greatly appreciate the recipies. I usually buy hot pepper jellies at the local farmers market but making my own would be so much better![p]Thanks in advance![p]jake
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Essex County,
    I was at the produce market, buying for the weekend's extravaganza, when I spotted 6 beautiful red bell peppers sitting forlorn on the bargain counter - too ripe! I brought 'em home with me, introduced them to Lennie (the Small Egg) for 20 minutes, and just finished skinning out and freeezing them.[p]Thanks!
    Ken

• Essex County
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to do some of all of what you said this weekend. How about a habanero jelly?[p]Paul[p]
  • bigmikej
    Options
    bigmikej,
    Here is one and there are quite a few more on this site. Just search Hot Pepper Jelly.

[ul][li]Pineapple pepper jelly[/ul]
  • bigmikej
    Options
    bigmikej,
    I used habaneros for their fruitiness. I believe I used 10 peppers total, 3 w/ seeds and veins, 7 w/o. Gave it some nice heat but all of that sugar balaces out. I find that the recipes for pepper jelly on this site are rather mild. Gonna try this one tonight:[p]Habanero Jelly[p]

Yields: 7 half-pint jars [p]Ingredients:[p]3 large fleshy orange bell peppers
    5 to 10 ripe habanero peppers
    1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
    7 cups sugar
    9 fl oz liquid fruit pectin (Certo or equivalent)
    Remove stems, seeds and membranes from all peppers (use gloves when handling the
    habaneros...yes... seriously... USE GLOVES!). Put peppers and the vinegar in a
    blender and process until smooth. Combine pepper-vinegar puree and all the sugar
    in a non-corrosive pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for
    twenty (20) minutes. Remove from heat and strain through cheesecloth into
    another pan. Add pectin and bring to a full rolling boil while stirring. Boil
    about one minute, remove from heat and ladle into sterile jars.

• Essex County,
    Green chili stew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Poblanos, onions, garlic,pork or beef,--it will knock your socks off, I'll e-mail recipe if anyone wants it.
    360 guy--gary

• 360 guy,
    Sounds great! Please send the recipe.[p]Thanks,[p]Paul