Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

New Setup (to me) for Baking Bread

DMWDMW Posts: 4,876
I just tried something new and it worked really well, thought I'd share.

Platesetter legs up, 3 firebricks on their sides, baking stone on top of the bricks. 3 small size drip pans. Right before putting the bread on, pour boiling water in each of the drip pans to generate steam. Rotate several times throughout to compensate for potential differing temps. I waited too long to rotate the first time, and one side is noticeably darker than the rest. 

This setup allows you to easily pour the water in the pans and not have the cooking grid get in the way. It also raises the stone higher in the dome. The downside is with the standard stone in the XL at gasket height I could fit 2 standard size boules at the same time. With this setup you need to use a smaller stone and no way you could fit 2 on at once, so I improvised. 

I shaped a single large boule using the Overnight Country Blonde recipe from Flour Water Salt Yeast. The final was about 12" across and just over 3 lbs. This was also my first bread with no commercial yeast, only starter that I cultured with whole wheat flour and water over several days for leavening. It just barely fit on the Emile Henry stone I used.

imageimageimage
My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
Morgantown, PA
XL BGE - S BGE - Blackstone Pizza Oven - 30" Steel Fire Pit w/Cooking Grid - Hasty Bake Legacy - KJ Jr - Gasser

Comments