Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Setup (to me) for Baking Bread

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
I just tried something new and it worked really well, thought I'd share.

Platesetter legs up, 3 firebricks on their sides, baking stone on top of the bricks. 3 small size drip pans. Right before putting the bread on, pour boiling water in each of the drip pans to generate steam. Rotate several times throughout to compensate for potential differing temps. I waited too long to rotate the first time, and one side is noticeably darker than the rest. 

This setup allows you to easily pour the water in the pans and not have the cooking grid get in the way. It also raises the stone higher in the dome. The downside is with the standard stone in the XL at gasket height I could fit 2 standard size boules at the same time. With this setup you need to use a smaller stone and no way you could fit 2 on at once, so I improvised. 

I shaped a single large boule using the Overnight Country Blonde recipe from Flour Water Salt Yeast. The final was about 12" across and just over 3 lbs. This was also my first bread with no commercial yeast, only starter that I cultured with whole wheat flour and water over several days for leavening. It just barely fit on the Emile Henry stone I used.

imageimageimage
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    man that looks good.  I got the book but I have got to get going on making bread.  Where did you get your baneton?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• DMW
    Options
    @BigWader I got my proofing baskets from Lucky Clover Trading Co. (http://www.luckyclovertrading.com) They charge a processing surcharge for orders under $50, so I found someone else local that wanted to get some and we put a joint order together. Just search for "proofing basket" on their website, they have a variety of shapes and sizes.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice setup ... and boule!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks good. I may try a batch on the Egg tonight, or may go in the oven. Been lazy and depends on when the cold front is going to hit. What's the puropse of a proofing basket?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DMW
    Options
    @Griffin The proofing basket gives the boule a nice uniform shape. You also get the nice spiral design as well. You can proof in a floured towel in a bowl as well. That's another advantage, using a floured basket doesn't get the towels all floured up and keeps SWMBO happier.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    This is my BGE set up for baking bread... I cook mostly sourdough and ciabatta bread. The pizza stone over steel mixing bowl is how I create the steam needed to get maximum rise out of my dough. Right after I score the dough I spray it with water and then place it on the pizza stone and then cover it with the preheated stainless steel mixing bowl. That's how I get my steam and maximize the rise if the dough. With sourdough bread I cook at 550 degrees for the first 20 minutes under the mixing bowl and then I remove the mixing bowl and turn the heat down to 465 degrees and cook to color... I don't use the daisy wheel at all. That way I get maximum airflow and I can see what is happening to my dough. Get you pizza stone above the felt line... Hmmm... I can't attach a file, so use your imagination. Sorry.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Fantastic looking bread..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I did something this weekend my wife can not recommend.  After a low and slow pork shoulder during the day, I cranked up the egg to 350 and on 3 fire bricks (much like you did) i placed an air bake cookie sheet filled with hamburger buns.  Buns turned out good (a bit smokey for my wife), and the air bake was a little blackened on the bottom.  She's making me buy her a new air bake set, and next time we'll be doing them in the oven.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Not sure how to get all that in my Mini? But yours is outstanding!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.