Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sunday's Cook & Eagles vs. Skins

hapsterhapster Posts: 6,692
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
I figured out what I want to egg tomorrow...

I am still doing breasts for Thanksgiving, but I want to try a spatchcocked turkey tomorrow... maybe a 12# or so. I want to try some peach wood for smoke and see how it works as a practice for Thanksgiving.

Should it be indirect or raised direct?

Probably get it cooking and enjoy the aroma while listening to the game tomorrow :)
·

Comments

• mb99zzmb99zz Posts: 182
    I've tried both and think both methods work well for me.  I think my family prefers indirect though.  BTW, skins fan here and I'm hoping you guys don't repeat the beating you gave us opening day :(
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,692

mb99zz said:
    I've tried both and think both methods work well for me.  I think my family prefers indirect though.  BTW, skins fan here and I'm hoping you guys don't repeat the beating you gave us opening day :(
    LOL... I hope we do! We need to get a win at home, if not, people will be lining up to jump off the Ben Franklin!
    ·
    I hear you.  Similar situation here....but it's the Washington Monument for us :)
    ·
  • My vote is for indirect. And since we're talkin' Birds and Skins here, tomorrow is a huge game for both teams. Rootin' for the Eagles in this household, bigtime.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    ·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 990
    With chicken I combine the two: indirect until it is close to done, then I go raised direct to finish it off.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,030
    Eagles fans are the worst. Good thing it isn't Christmas time. :P
    ·
  • Let's go Skins! Been a skins fan since birth. This game will be way different than the first.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,126
    @Mickey will go with raised direct and I have to agree-even if I didn't buy a Toyota from him or a kilt for that matter.  Legs to the back and a quick cook-around 80-90 mins for a 12# bird.
    Louisville
    ·
  • HTTR
    ·
  • If I was home with my egg cooking this meal, I would go raised direct. I plan to do one the day before thanksgiving for dinner at work. Let us know how it turns out with the peach as I was either going to use that or some pecan. And as posted earlier I hope the outcome of the game is not the same as the first. Everyone has seen the show now hopefully the defence can stop them.
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,462
    My vote is indirect.  I have done direct spatchcocks twice, and got an off flavor I attribute to the burning dripping grease
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
    Leaning towards indirect...
    ·
  • Good luck with the turkey. As a Giants fan, it would be nice if they both could lose, guess someone has to win. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
    Cookinbob said:
    My vote is indirect.  I have done direct spatchcocks twice, and got an off flavor I attribute to the burning dripping grease
    That's exactly why my family prefers the indirect method.  
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    Raised direct @ 350-400 for me 
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
    As I am just back from the store... they had no small birds. I decided to just do a breast, about 8 pounds since this is more about the flavors and peach smoke than the cooking method. Plus it's just the three of us that the dark meat is likely to go to waste

Going to make an herb butter to put under the skin and go indirect with the peach. Figuring on a dome temp of 300-325 and see what happens. When the turkey is done, I'm going to open the vents a little and do a basket of Brussels sprouts direct...

Of course there will be some pics later. I am hoping to sit out and listen to the Eagles vs Skins as it's in the 60's on the deck in the sun. There may be a cigar involved and a beverage or two ;)
    ·
  • Sorry but dont like either team! So i guess im hoping for a tie!!!!! :D
    ·
  • Ribs went on a few minutes ago.

GO SKINS!
    Chris
    Falls Church, VA
    Large & Mini
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 6,398
    Just turned the game on, so far so good. Go Eagles!
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
    Some update pics... The game is going well. :)

Egg is currently at 315 and it smells great with the peach chunks. Rosemary, thyme, and sage for the herb butter.

imageimageimageimage
    image.jpg 1.2M
    image.jpg 1.1M
    image.jpg 859.9K
    ·
    And of course what would egging be without a beverage and a good stick

image.jpg 971.5K
    ·
    At just about 2 hours... Dome at 300 and the IT is around 135 avg across the breasts...

Too many chunks? I used 5 small ones...

image.jpg 1.3M
    ·
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,252
    You worried about the breast gettin too dark? Right now color is perfect. You think about tenting the breast to not over darken?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·
    grege345 said:

You worried about the breast gettin too dark? Right now color is perfect. You think about tenting the breast to not over darken?

It's off now resting. Got a little darker in a good way, not like it was burned. Can't wait to carve it
    ·
    Eagles managed to hang on and finally win a home game, and find themselves in first place LOL

Turkey was really good. Let it rest while the sprouts roasted and I made gravy from the pan drippings. The girls didn't like the skin; their loss. The meat was super juicy, tender, and had a nice light smoke flavor.

Will be using peach for the holiday turkey.

imageimageimage
    image.jpg 1.4M
    image.jpg 1.3M
    ·
  • jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    5-4 baby!!!  We got the East!!!
    ·
  • jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    6-5 rather.  I've had a few.
    ·
  • Thank you Eagles!  Chip Kelly is my coach on my FF team and I needed that Eagle victory!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
    Thank you Eagles!  Chip Kelly is my coach on my FF team and I needed that Eagle victory!
    You're welcome... I didn't have much to do with it ;)
    ·
  • It worked out for me better than the other team in Pennsylvania.  The Detroit Lions looked like the Lions of old losing in ridiculous fashion to the Steelers. 

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·