Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I cook a pizza on a Plate Setter ?

Options
Larry
Larry Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do I really need a pizza stone also??
Can I use the Plate Setter by itself??[p]Thanks in advance

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Larry,[p]There is no reason that you couldn't do so, but there are a couple of "heads ups":[p]1) The surface of the plate setter is an irregular shape so the diameter of the pizza will be limited to the size of the inner circle.
    2) The ceramic mass of just a plate setter puts a premium on your ability to control the surface temperature of the plate setter. (burning the bottom crust)
    3) With an irregular shape, you will have to pay close attention to the outer crust burning (more than you may desire). The fire's flames will have plenty of opportunity to come up and around the plate setter.[p]Go for it, and let the forum know your results.[p]

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Larry,
    Did it on the platesetter for years. Last few pies I tried doing on pizza stone on top of platesetter. I'm going back to using just the platesetter for my typical thin crust. Maybe I'll use both for deep dish and double crust. Lately I've been assembling the pie on parchment paper and putting the package on the platesetter. After a short set time I slide theparchment out and let the pie complete cooking. Remove with a peel.

• eggdog
    eggdog Posts: 38
    Options
    Larry, you won't get good results just using a plate setter by itself. it must be put in the green egg using lit lump.

• Smokin Bob
    Options
    Larry,[p]You can certainly cook one on the platesetter alone however, your results can be erratic due to various reasons (concerning temp.). I graduated to a pizza stone shortly after my first few attempts. I’m sure some have mastered the technique but, I get a perfect pizza every time with my pizza stone.[p]Good Luck![p]B o B

• katman,
    what does the parchment paper do for you