Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Advice Needed, Turkey For Thanksgiving

So I am thinking of Spatching my Turkey for Thanksgiving.  With that, I have never done such a large bird.  I normally cook my birds indirect, but could use some advice after that.  Any help is much appreciated. 
·

Comments

• mail Mickey, he's the pro.  Does them all the time.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,060
    If you invoke the Don correctly (as in @Mickey), he should be along shortly to set you right.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • eggoeggo Posts: 438
    Waiting for this answer too. Spatching the turkey (1st time) for thanksgiving.

Eggo in N. MS
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,460
    What size bird are you going to do?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468
    edited November 2013
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook.
    Or, just add a package of legs extra.
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken.
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time)
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan.
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee
    Equal part: Brown Sugar
    ½ part: Black Pepper
    ½ part: Kosher Salt
    ½ part: Garlic Powder
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • @Mickey That bird definitely looks good!  Thanks for your input.  
    @GrannyX4 I would probably be cooking one no bigger than 15#.
    ·
    15 lbs is a good size and spatching is very easy and practically fool proof. You can cook it direct or indirect. I've done it both ways.
    ·
  • what time and temp do you do indirect? 
    ·
    350/375 2-2 1/2 hours indirect, raised grate with the legs and thighs toward the rear. Always cook to temp. I pull it just before breast reaches 160. ;;)
    ·