Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice Needed, Turkey For Thanksgiving

So I am thinking of Spatching my Turkey for Thanksgiving.  With that, I have never done such a large bird.  I normally cook my birds indirect, but could use some advice after that.  Any help is much appreciated. 

Comments

• mail Mickey, he's the pro.  Does them all the time.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If you invoke the Don correctly (as in @Mickey), he should be along shortly to set you right.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Waiting for this answer too. Spatching the turkey (1st time) for thanksgiving.

Eggo in N. MS
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    What size bird are you going to do?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited November 2013
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook.
    Or, just add a package of legs extra.
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken.
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time)
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan.
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee
    Equal part: Brown Sugar
    ½ part: Black Pepper
    ½ part: Kosher Salt
    ½ part: Garlic Powder
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• @Mickey That bird definitely looks good!  Thanks for your input.  
    @GrannyX4 I would probably be cooking one no bigger than 15#.
  • GrannyX4
    15 lbs is a good size and spatching is very easy and practically fool proof. You can cook it direct or indirect. I've done it both ways.
  • what time and temp do you do indirect? 
  • GrannyX4
    350/375 2-2 1/2 hours indirect, raised grate with the legs and thighs toward the rear. Always cook to temp. I pull it just before breast reaches 160. ;;)