Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Nervous about Thanksgiving

I'm a first year Egger and my wife has asked me to do a couple turkey breasts for 8-10 guests onThanksgiving. I'm anxious to impress, but at the same time a little nervous. She thinks it'll be two 8 pound breasts, probably bone-in. Never having done any type of turkey breast, I'm wondering 1) will two 8 pounders fit on my large BGE? and 2) how long should I estimate it to take to reach my target temp of 163? Also, any other advice would be appreciated, like do I inject or brine? Thanks!
Heaven - a fine cigar and bourbon in hand, while watching my BGE smoke! Chicago area

Comments

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 3,128
    The 2 -8lbers will easily fit on the large. When I am cooking bone-in breast I will go for about 325-350* indirect for around 2 - 2 1/2hrs to hit 160IT. I have never brined one only dry rubbed just before cooking so I am not gonna be much help for you on that one.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky. Waitin to find a Sasquatch to Egg.
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,534
    Cooked them spachcocked (if they're the whole breast) rasied grid at 400. Should take maybe 2 hours to get to 160.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Thanks to both of you...my confidence is growing!
    Heaven - a fine cigar and bourbon in hand, while watching my BGE smoke! Chicago area
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,259
    As above on the time and temp. The time depends a little on the meat temp when it gets into the Egg. Cold right out of the 'fridge will take longer than ones that sit on the counter for an hour or so. For some reason, my holiday birds always come out a little faster than I expect. Perhaps its because I pre-heat the Egg long enough that when I put the bird in, the temp recovers faster than an oven.

If the breasts are fresh, or only frozen once, they should be juicy enough that they don't need an injection. But check commercial frozen breasts. They are often pre-injected, and should not have any additional salt added.

For fresh turkey, I prefer "dry" brining. A light salt rub each day for about 3 days. Then, before cooking, I mix up some herb butter and put chunks of that under the skin. If no skin, I baste w. an herb-butter-wine mix.

Buy a couple of extra wings or necks, and make some good stock in advance for a gravy base. I have tried catching drippings, but too often they have been somewhat burnt. And, I suspect breasts by themselves may not have enough juices.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 14,529
    edited November 2013
    yzzi said:
    Cooked them spachcocked (if they're the whole breast) rasied grid at 400. Should take maybe 2 hours to get to 160.

Yzzi I would check that breast heavy at 50 mins on for temp. Like you I only cook turkey at 400.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• Certainly nothing to be nervous about. If you aren't nervous about an oven cook the egg will only be better

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby said:
    Buy a couple of extra wings or necks, and make some good stock in advance for a gravy base. I have tried catching drippings, but too often they have been somewhat burnt.

Great thought on preparing for the gravy! Also, thanks for the advice on checking whether they've been pre-injected.