Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nervous about Thanksgiving

I'm a first year Egger and my wife has asked me to do a couple turkey breasts for 8-10 guests onThanksgiving. I'm anxious to impress, but at the same time a little nervous. She thinks it'll be two 8 pound breasts, probably bone-in. Never having done any type of turkey breast, I'm wondering 1) will two 8 pounders fit on my large BGE? and 2) how long should I estimate it to take to reach my target temp of 163? Also, any other advice would be appreciated, like do I inject or brine? Thanks!
Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
Naperville, IL

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    The 2 -8lbers will easily fit on the large. When I am cooking bone-in breast I will go for about 325-350* indirect for around 2 - 2 1/2hrs to hit 160IT. I have never brined one only dry rubbed just before cooking so I am not gonna be much help for you on that one.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Cooked them spachcocked (if they're the whole breast) rasied grid at 400. Should take maybe 2 hours to get to 160.
    Dunedin, FL
  • CharleyR
    CharleyR Posts: 103
    Thanks to both of you...my confidence is growing!
    Naperville, IL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    As above on the time and temp. The time depends a little on the meat temp when it gets into the Egg. Cold right out of the 'fridge will take longer than ones that sit on the counter for an hour or so. For some reason, my holiday birds always come out a little faster than I expect. Perhaps its because I pre-heat the Egg long enough that when I put the bird in, the temp recovers faster than an oven.

If the breasts are fresh, or only frozen once, they should be juicy enough that they don't need an injection. But check commercial frozen breasts. They are often pre-injected, and should not have any additional salt added.

For fresh turkey, I prefer "dry" brining. A light salt rub each day for about 3 days. Then, before cooking, I mix up some herb butter and put chunks of that under the skin. If no skin, I baste w. an herb-butter-wine mix.

Buy a couple of extra wings or necks, and make some good stock in advance for a gravy base. I have tried catching drippings, but too often they have been somewhat burnt. And, I suspect breasts by themselves may not have enough juices.
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Buy one and practice.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited November 2013
    yzzi said:
    Cooked them spachcocked (if they're the whole breast) rasied grid at 400. Should take maybe 2 hours to get to 160.

Yzzi I would check that breast heavy at 50 mins on for temp. Like you I only cook turkey at 400.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Certainly nothing to be nervous about. If you aren't nervous about an oven cook the egg will only be better

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CharleyR
    CharleyR Posts: 103
    gdenby said:
    Buy a couple of extra wings or necks, and make some good stock in advance for a gravy base. I have tried catching drippings, but too often they have been somewhat burnt.

Great thought on preparing for the gravy! Also, thanks for the advice on checking whether they've been pre-injected.
    Naperville, IL