Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Logistically, Eggfest 05 Sucked!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can't believe how unprepared these people were!! The new location was awful, people breaking eggs left and right. Loading was absolutely unacceptable!!! People are spending way too much of their own money to deal with this type inconvenience. No surprise I guess based on how uncoordinated the 04 fest was, but I did expect more since this was at their own facility. The gift packs were lame compared to 04 and on top of that our registrations were not found, causing us to be treated like we were gate crashers. The raffle wasn't as good as 04 and damnit, GET A DECENT PA SYSTEM! Ever heard of an itenerary? Let people know what and when to expect it. This thing is getting too big for all this word of mouth business. On my worst day I can be more organized than what I witnessed, but as long as everone is happy spending their money (based on the posts) then I don't expect any improvement.[p]Will miss the food, but won't be back.

Comments

• Egg-sucker,[p]Buh Bye!
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Wow,[p]What about all the great people that attended? That would be worth the price of admission to me. [p]Mick
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Egg-sucker,
    We obviously weren't at the same event. -RP

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    AZRP,[p]I couldn't agree more, AZRP. (I saw you talking to nature boy but never got a chance to introduce myself. Hopefully we'll get to chat next year).[p]While the exit was a little more than they probably expected (with all of the bought eggs that had to go, logistically speaking), I thought the day was great. The buses ran frequently, the cops were friendly, the staff were friendly and very helpful getting folks set up as well as getting them out. [p]You are entitled to your opinion Eggsucker, but I suspect your visit must have been jaded by the beatdown you must have received from some bikers. My entire day was pleasant, filled with conversation and recipe sharing as well as catching up with old friends and making new ones. [p]If you can't look past some of the problems inherent with a crowd of over 1,000 people, then maybe the fest just isn't for you.[p]I look forward to attending next year and hopefully winning an egg to add to my collection. And if I don't, i'll just enjoy the cold beers, great food and good friends.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Egg-sucker,[p]Don't forget to mention how drunk and obnoxious I was.[p]Maybe next year should be revolved around YOU?
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Dos Huevos
    Options
    Wardster,[p]LOL!! Now I KNOW he was talking about me...[p]Or maybe stike flew in without telling anyone and showed his...um....rump.
  • Dos Huevos
    Options
    Egg-sucker,[p]By the way, I know I got out a tick earlier than most with my large, but I didn't see or hear of one broken egg while I was still there. [p]How many were there?

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I hope that you have spoken directly with the BGE crew in Atlanta about your concerns. Since you chose to air your concerns publicly in such a crass manner, I doubt you have. If you had spoken with Jim, John, Lou or anyone else at the home office, they would have gone out of their way to address your concerns and make you a satisfied customer. On the other hand, if you did complain in the same tone as your post, all you should have heard on the other end of the line is a dial tone.[p]Try talking to the folks at BGE in a civilized manner and I'm sure you will be rewarded in kind.[p]All the best,
    Jim

• That rant reminds me of one by a former KCBS board member about the Royal.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Dos Huevos,
    oh heck. .. i was hanging out by the parking lot from 6:00 till almost 7:30 (i missed the last bus, but made some new friends in the lot, and while waiting for one of the wives to come up and pick up their egg and take me back to the motel i just hung out yapping with the folks). ..there were a couple of drunks hanging out. . .but i didn't see one egg get broken, and most folks took the wait in stride. . .and you are right. ..whoever this is should have expressed their concerns to jim/john. . ..the bge guys worked their butts off taking care of everyone as expeditiously as possible. ..

• jhack
    jhack Posts: 1
    Options
    Dos Huevos,
    They drop my egg before they load it. I am happy to say they BGE people as vary sorry about this and made it up to me. I saw at least 3 egg that was drop out side of mine. They can't blame everything on the staff. Stuff happens!! everybody wanted thier egg and they want it now when you rush things like this happen

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Jhack,
    can i assume that they immediately went into the warehouse and provided you with a brand spankin new virgin egg??[p]you're right, stuff happens. .. if it had been me, i would have been just as happy, cause instead of a once used (and abused) egg, i'd be going home with a brand new one. ...heck of deal if you ask me, and worth the little bit of inconvenience. ..

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Egg-sucker,
    Silly me! I spent the entire day thinking I was having fun, dealing with friendly people, and generally enjoying myself ... Thanks for setting me straight about the rotten time I really had...[p]Gee, if you're not there next year, who'll tell me how bad it was when I leave??? 'Cause we'll be there.[p]Ken

• Q-rious Tom
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I saw one large bite the dust -- it got away from the two interns trying to load it and the bottom sheared. Looked like the top & innards were intact.[p]This was at about 5:40, IIRC.[p]The logistics *could* have used a little bit of work -- one of the big ones, from where I sit, is the whole concept of 'tag the egg, claim the tagged egg'. I bought a 'used' large; I should have ID'd to the staff, the paperwork should have been checked, and the nearest cool large should have come down the hill. Unless, that is, someone grilled frsh skunk in it.[p]But (from past experience 'organizing' this sort of thing) this was extremely well done.[p]Tom
  • Dos Huevos
    Options
    Ken, [p]I must say that, without question, THIS was the post of the day. [p]Great job!!
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Dos Huevos GRANDE,[p]How ya cooking with those two larges now? I'd like to see pics of the happy egg couple puffing away together! I ran home at lunch to put a Boston Butt on the small. I waited around until I saw the Guru doing no puffing before I headed back to the office. But all afternoon I've been smelling my arms and hands. Nice............[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Egg-sucker,
    Sounds like you are the only one who had a great time. I bet you made plenty of new friends, too!

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    JimboBQ,[p]I won't be tandem cooking until this weekend, but I suspect there'll be some photos coming today or tomorrow. I love the new setup and cannot WAIT to have four butts on one Large whilst T-rexing some beautiful ribeyes on the other...[p](drool....)
  • JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    I have to agree that logistically there were a lot of issues that could have been handled better. I think the great time we had fully outweighed those issues. The BGE crew were quick to answer all questions that I asked of them.
    I think the worst part was my leaving early so I could be back at 4 PM to pick up my egg and being told by the cop to come back in 20 minutes. Well of course I left came back in twenty minutes to get in the end of a longer line. So I spent another 40 minutes for a total of one hour waiting to pick up my egg. I stopped cooking at 2 PM so it would be cool enough to go at 4 PM. And once I finally got in the parking lot and walked down to pick up my egg everything went smooth.
    It is tough to pull of something this big without wrinkles, I'm just glad we could all get together to celebrate our Eggs and cooking.[p]John

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Egg-sucker,
    I didn't even go to the event, but had a great time just reading the posts made by many people here that I consider reliable sources of information. Thanks for peeing in my Wheaties! Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
    Seth

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    That was with Wardster and had the big buzz?
    He was the only guy I saw that wasn't having a great time.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Dos Huevos, That is the same ploy I used to get a medium after having a large for almost two years. But Honey Snookums, when I'm doing butts I don't have anything else to cook on!! She's already forgot about the Weber covered up in the corner. HEE!

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Egg-sucker, the only egg i heard crash & break was the one he was sitting on - trying to hatch it - what a lame duck

• Egg-sucker,
    Maybe next year they should hire a third party to put on the event. That way we could have people who don’t know anything about the Egg or it’s culture running the show. Straight forward organized business people. Ahhh I can picture it now. No setting up where ever you want, section off assigned spaces, and charge extra for the premium ones. Need a starter cube? That will be $2. Free beer? No way too much lost revenue. Raffle? People don’t come for the raffle. Skip it and save the money, then you don’t need a PA system at all.[p]The Egg is a success because it is a superior product with an outstanding staff who continuously strive to make things better. Just as the Egg has evolved over the years so will the Fest. It’s supposed to be fun. If you didn’t enjoy the way the day played out then you probably don’t enjoy a good 18 hour cook either. Sell your egg and go out to eat from now on, be sure to make a reservation because I know you don’t want to wait.

• crybaby.jpg
    <p />Now I remember you.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Egg-sucker,
    I wasn't there but two thoughts come to mind. The first is Big Green Egg is in the Big Green Egg business, not the party hosting business. They do a pretty good job of selling and servicing Big Green Eggs. Maybe not so good at hosting parties but who cares. Their heart is in the right place. Second, life is full of "less than perfect" situations. Most people adjust quickly to them and enjoy all the good points. If all you get out of anything you do is the bad points, life must be pretty miserable. And thirdly (I know I only said two) I'm pretty sure they know where they came up short without anyone telling them. I'll wager they are sorry it could not have been more perfect. Personally, I hope you attend next year's EggtoberFest just so you can see first hand if they fixed everything that irritated you. Hopefully they will and you will join the ranks of the Happy Eggers.[p]Spring "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Buttman
    Buttman Posts: 17
    Options
    Overall I think it was an absolutely outstanding event. Eggs were ready at 8AM, beverages were onsite before 9AM (non-alcoholic), everything was rocking and rolling by 9AM. Got my platesetter checked out in time for a 9AM start. What, there are only 15 or so BGE staff servicing hundreds of folks. I thought the shirts and tools were more than I expected.[p]Areas for improvement:[p]More frequent bus rides (maybe more buses, but smaller ones), I once waited almost 30 minutes to leave.
    The loading of the Eggs was a horror show, but 100+ Eggheads wanting their Eggs at once is going to do that anyhow. I will reserve comment on the rent-a-cop adding to the chaos. [p]Eggsucker, why don't you recommend some improvements?

• dblR
    dblR Posts: 75
    Options
    Sigmore,
    It certainly is strange but that ploy worked for me, also. Honey, I can be doing something on my XL that I just got but can also be doing horses over on a smaller BGE. she would not here of it until she started tasting all of the great eats. Mad Max gave some quisadias, Gren Eggs and Ham those wonderful apples, MR. Toad's over the top pork loin injected with coconut milk with jerk rub with a pina coloda sauce over that!! Chef Arnoldi's creations, smokin' Joe's, Senior Huevos (good stogie,thx), Hooters, Chris, and the Hollander's sheep (with John Rance's help), Dr. BBQ, I just can,t name all of you. Thanks for showing my wife what two eggs are all about. Got my XL one month ago and left with a L!! Could not believe my ears when my wifw told me to see if I could get a pkg! I did note that a ramp could be made to make things easier, and will probably be done. This was my first and my wife was writing down what we needed and what we have so I can show out next year!! You don't know my wife; but this Eggtoberfest was truly what being an EGGER is all about!! She did not know what to expect and was totally shocked.[p]
    Ralph Chambers

• ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Options
    drbbq,[p]Nah, it couldn't have been that guy, I was with those two and talked to "that guy" the next day. He doesn't remember what kinda time he had!

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Egg-sucker,
    I dont know how long you have been a member of this club but I dont think you have been very long and havent had the real "eggperience" of being an Egger.
    1st off the meet and greet was outstanding! Profesionally catered with all the appetizers and drinks you can eat and drink. And these appetizers weren't exactly mini wieners!
    And as some have already mentioned the Eggs were ready to burn way before the scheduled time of 9am. Hell I got there at 9am thinking there were going to be plenty of eggs open, but I was wrong! I did one whole lap before I took the 1st one near the gate where I started from. So BGE knows enough that Eggers want to get started EARLY!
    Your right it would have been nice if there was a little more room, but based on those who went last year it wasnt nearly as bad in regards to space.
    Look, you had hotties serving beer, GREAT people to associate with before, during, and after the fest, an unbelievable amount of great food. In addition to all this you did get a few things in their give away bag.
    WHat else more do you want for a FREE event if you cooked?(and that could have been a .99 pack of hot dogs if you chose too)
    Have fun trying to find a competitor who has a fest! ROFL!
    ST[p]