Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thanksgiving - whatcha cookin?

2»

Comments

• We ended up with more people for Christmas dinner than I had planned. I had a frozen bird in the freezer and decided to put it on. Worked out great. You have to understand that pretty much everything is frozen here at Christmas B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • minniemohminniemoh Posts: 1,287
    @ Littlesteven &minniemoh my question is how do you season a frozen Turkey ?
    Once the moisture starts to develop on the skin, you can dust it with whatever you want. I didn't put anything in the cavity. It's really a very simple cook with a great outcome.

L x2, M, S, and Mini. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
    ·
  • Found the post where I did the frozen one:

22 lbs prime rib, 24 lb mad max bird, 14 lb frozen bird and stuffing

Steve
    imagehttp://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t218/littlesteven_photos/DSC_0057-4.jpg" border="0" width="620" />

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,453
    Wow, how many did you feed?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • There weren't a lot of leftovers. It was'09.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,285
    edited November 2013

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • MJHMJH Posts: 102
    Baked sweet potatoes with a streussel made with marshmelllows, pecans, brown sugar and butter is a favorite at our house.
    ·
  • Guajolote

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,157
    Guajolote
    Veo lo que usted lo hizo allí
    ·
  • Guajolote
    Soy un Tejano.  Hablamos Español.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,157
    Guajolote
    Si, claro
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,777
    LS - that's beautiful. Few things beat cooking and sharing a meal with a houseful of family and friends.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    Guajolote
    Si, claro

I just ran all that in Google. Found out VI is the father to Travis. Google is so cool.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Mickey said:

I just ran all that in Google. Found out VI is the father to Travis. Google is so cool.

Col. Wm. B. Travis, of Alamo fame?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    Mickey said:

Col. Wm. B. Travis, of Alamo fame?

Sorry but Pvt Travis of Fort Hood Tx Army fame
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,760
    Brining a whole turkey for 72 hours, then will smoke on the egg. Going to sous vide a turkey breast, then will finish on the egg.

This time, I'm going to listen to Travis and make the Mad Max gravy.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • cazzy said:
    Brining a whole turkey for 72 hours, then will smoke on the egg. Going to sous vide a turkey breast, then will finish on the egg. This time, I'm going to listen to Travis and make the Mad Max gravy.
    Caz,

I'm thinking of brining a turkey also.  This will be my first time.  From what I'm reading, 16 to 18 hours of brining is enough.  Do you have a reason for going 72 hours?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,777
    I smoked a turkey last year, not on the egg, but it was excellent. Brined overnight, let it dry in the refrigerator another night, and then let it sit at room temp for about an hour with the breast iced before throwing it on the drum smoker. I would like to try a dry-brined turkey next year, which takes a few days from what I remember reading. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,760
    cazzy said:
    Brining a whole turkey for 72 hours, then will smoke on the egg. Going to sous vide a turkey breast, then will finish on the egg. This time, I'm going to listen to Travis and make the Mad Max gravy.
    Caz,

I'm thinking of brining a turkey also.  This will be my first time.  From what I'm reading, 16 to 18 hours of brining is enough.  Do you have a reason for going 72 hours?
    I totally screwed up the numbers in my head as I was thinking about my short ribs.  lol...so the 72 was in my head.  

I will brine longer than your time though...going 36 hours like I did last year as it resulted in the best turkey I have ever tasted.

Used the brine recipe Cen listed in his thread:

My cook thread:  

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·