Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison shoulder?

Options

At work today I was talking to a customer and they offered me a venison shoulder.  He said that when he's cooked it people have said that it's the best pulled pork they've ever had and then he tells them that it's venison.  Hubby isn't a hunter so I've never cooked venison.  Has anyone ever done a shoulder before?  And if so, how have you done it and what were your results?

Jen

Lakeville, MN

Comments

• HorseMover
    Options
    I have tried it with Clay's pulled beef recipe. Turned out pretty well but drier than pork. Venison is so lean its hard not to dry out but the bacon helps.
    Albion, PA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Ground it up, mix it 50/50 with pork and make sausage out of it.  Hard to imagine that you could cook it like a butt since its so lean. Maybe if you treated it more like a chuck and smoked it for awhile then either wrap in foil with some liquid or in a DO with liquid to braise...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I would roast it to a rare otherwise it will dry out like shoe leather 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.