Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A different rub method

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yestrday I did some ribs and I didn't feel like making up a batch of spice rub. So, I rubbed the ribs with some yellow mustard, then added my usual rub ingredients, one at a time. I sprinkled each side with enough garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, turbinado and light brown sugar to cover the ribs, then rubbed everything in. They turned out great - not much of a crust, but that's okay. I don't think ribs necessarilly have to have a crust to be good. This is a pretty economical way of making a spice rub for a small batch of meat, and you can see how much of each spice is going on (I used more of some, less of others).[p]I had a second rack or ribs which I marinaded in McCormick's ginger teriyaki marinade. This is one of their "30 minute" marinade mixes, which you mix with water, vinegar and oil. I probably marinaded them for an hour or two, and they also turned out great. [p]One of these days I'm going to try doing ribs rubbed with only the basics (salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder) see how they turn out.

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]I sometimes sprinkle on my rub ingredients one at a time. This is usually when I'm doing a Whatever's in the Cabinet type cook and I don't really have a plan, spice-wise.[p]As for simply spiced ribs, Smokin' Todd made some yesterday with no rub at all! These were slow smoked over mesquite (lots of it!) for 4 hours. Stubbs brand marinade was applied with 1 hour left in the cook then Stubbs original BBQ sauce was put on the ribs while they rested for 10 minutes after being taken off the grill.[p]I've always been skeptical of ribs cooked without seasonings. This tender, juicy, smokey, pork from Heaven has changed my mind![p]Cornfed
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]It is nice to see others that are trying the naked method of cooking ribs. Butt and ribs have a very good flavor most of the time just plain IMO.[p]Z