Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

OT: Looking for a mandoline

BoomerTheWeimBoomerTheWeim Posts: 49
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
We're looking to buy a new mandoline.  Any suggestions on a good one?
Clayton, NC

Large BGE, Mini BGE, Two Weimaraners

Comments

• CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,687
    sorry, don't mean to scare you, just be very careful, how do I know?  :\">

canuckland
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352

This is what I have. Had it many years and works great. I have no fingerprints to prove it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,581
    I have 2 mandolins. The first one I bought was well built, had 4 different blades, and a really nice food gripper. Unfortunately the blades were not very sharp. The closest I can find to it currently is this. The hand guard - gripper is different and there are more blades.

I also have a base level Benriner. The gripper - hand guard is almost useless. Cut my fingers the 1st 3 times I used it. The size of food it can handle is probably no more than 2/3 of what the other does. But the blades are scary sharp.

The bigger one gathers dust, the Benriner gets almost all the use. I don't think either are excellent, but I go w. the Benriner for clean paper thin slices.

• bearcatbearcat Posts: 38
    Ouchy ouch!

I was going to say buy a really good one with a good system for holding the veggies in place. I bought one that is good enough to have sharp blades but has a terrible pronged POS for holding stuff. I feel really dumb whenever I use it though I haven't done that much damage to my digits. When I finally went to by a nice one a cheap kitchenaid FP cost the same so......
    gdenby said:
    ... Unfortunately the blades were not very sharp...
    unfortunate? I beg to differ  :D
    canuckland
  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 1,354

+1 on the Bron.  My dad bought one while we were in Paris 25+ yrs ago.  He uses it all the time and it's still sharp.......bought me one when I got married.  I'm sure there's something better out there, but it's what I'm used to.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Stainless-Steel-Mandolin-Slicer/dp/B0001BMZ38

I was thinking about getting one of the mini Kyocera ceramic blade ones for carrots, garlic, etc.  The Bron would still be the go to for potatoes, onions, etc.

Connect:  Website  -  Facebook  -  Twitter

• lantzwrlantzwr Posts: 215
    I've had the Borner V Slicer mandoline for 20 or so years.  Still works great.
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,441
    I don't know how to play a Mandoline so I can't help.  :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Veg-O-Matic
  • Look at the bron, check eBay if you can
    Beaufort, SC
    edited October 2013
    shredded 10 lb of coleslaw by hand last week, took over an hour, beat waiting 4 hours at ER though :\">

:\">
    canuckland
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,284
    The ex-GF got me a Borner:
    and it won a "shoot-out" by Cook's Illustrated.  It works fine and less than $35.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,284
    ^^^ I'm glad I didn't have a typo up there....

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • Botch said:

The difference is you still have the Borner!
    ;)

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Botch said:

The difference is you still have the Borner!
    ;)
    I used to have a Borner now it's just a Bron
    :\">

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,151
    Mine is a Bron, picked it up for under $100 at a going out of business sale a couple of years ago. Had no idea what I had until my foodie neighbour tried to take it off my hands. 18/10 SS cleans like a dream. Check out the Chef's Depot site regarding cut proof gloves if you get one of these puppies. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,064
    +1 on the glove. Amazon has some, and I think the ones used for shucking oysters would also work. last Thanksgiving, a guest was excited about using my mandoline slicer, and before I had a chance to warn her, she was asking for a band-aid. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DredgerDredger Posts: 280
    +1 on the cut proof gloves and I'll add New Skin Liquid Bandage to the mix. Don't ask me how I know. Oh, and also, an ice cube covered with a paper towel applied until the bleeding stops. My mandoline now stays in a drawer. It's bloodthirsty.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,316
    might be old school but my feemsters probably 70 or 80 years old, bought a new one for camp a couple years ago for under ten bucks for slaw and au gratin. how can a hand slicer slicer cost 200 bucks
    https://www.lehmans.com/p-1414-feemsters-famous-vegetable-slicer.aspx
  • I usually go by Cooks Illustrated testing, and I bought the Oxy mandoline which was top rated for use as well as safety--it has a large guard around the food holder--would be very hard to get cut as long as you use it.  It is about $50 according to test results, and got mine at bedbath with 20% off coupon.

Highly Recommended
    image OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer

Razor-sharp V-blade made short work of a variety of fruits and vegetables, with a wide, sturdy gripper guard that felt exceptionally safe. Extra blades conveniently stored beneath the frame. Measurement-marked dial sets slice thickness.