Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Brining

Options

Hi Folks, I am defrosting a 9 pound bone in Turkey Breast and I see it says at the bottom of the package that it has been injected with up to 15% turkey broth, sodium and flavoring to keep the meat juicy. I believe I read on this forum that you should not brine a injected turkey. Any thoughts on if I should or should not and what will happen to the flavor if I do.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Don't brine it a second time.  Also, I would avoid buying those.
    Options
    Don't brine it a second time.  Also, I would avoid buying those.

Hey Nolaegghead,

I think I'm with you here but I am confused when they say it was injected and not brined. I have injected fresh turkeys after I have brined them and they have came out great.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    This is definition hair splitting. Technically, brining is apply salt externally, either thru a salt rub, or a salt water bath.  As the meat absorbs the salt, the meats own juices bond w. the salt, and so does not cook away as easily. Injection is just a fast way to do that. The term often used is "enhanced," but it could say "partially cured."

When you work w. a fresh turkey, the brining traps the water already there, and most injections just add additional flavor.

While the commercial injection helps insure a moister bird, if the bird has been frozen, there will probably be more tissue damage from the extra ice crystals. And, the bird has become artificially heavier, so you end up paying more.

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    gdenby said:
    This is definition hair splitting. Technically, brining is apply salt externally, either thru a salt rub, or a salt water bath.  As the meat absorbs the salt, the meats own juices bond w. the salt, and so does not cook away as easily. Injection is just a fast way to do that. The term often used is "enhanced," but it could say "partially cured."

When you work w. a fresh turkey, the brining traps the water already there, and most injections just add additional flavor.

While the commercial injection helps insure a moister bird, if the bird has been frozen, there will probably be more tissue damage from the extra ice crystals. And, the bird has become artificially heavier, so you end up paying more.

Thanks for the info, love this forum...