Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'Other' Cuts of Meats - Any Recommendations?

Options
Being WASPy and from Detroit area I'm basically 'raised' A&P, Farmer Jacks, Krogers and now Winn-Dixie, Publix, and moreso now Costco. I was thumbing through APL's Serious BBQ book the other day and settled on trying the pork belly recipe. Butt what is a pork belly and where to get one here in WPB FL ? Well it's basically uncured bacon with the skin on and I don't recall seeing one at any of my supermarket, er religious affiliations. Ah, sez me, check the BGE site and someone recommends Sedanos in Lake Worth. I'd been there once and it stunk and never went back but was willing to try it again for pork belly. Well now it's Monterey Supermarket and Wow, what different cuts of meats they have, one's I've never seen in the store. 

The guy brought out a pork belly and cut me off a 4 lb. chunk. Looking around the place they have 'all the other cuts of meats' that 'my stores' do not. They also have pork hearts, pork tongues, all kinds of feet (beef, pork, chicken), intestines, stomachs, hearts, etc. And pork 'cushion', which looked a lot like a bone in pork shoulder. Prices were nice, the meats were different but looked very low and slow and or good for BBQ, etc.

Has anyone tried any of these 'other cuts' of meats and if so what can you recommend?  

Comments