Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Smoking my first turkey this weekend!

Have done many a chicken on the egg but this will be my first attempt at a turkey. Just a 12 lb bird so not too big. Any tips or advice?

Comments

• bo31210bo31210 Posts: 228
    Smoke mine at 325 with a chunk or 2 of pecan wood. Usually takes 15 to 20 minutes a pound for me.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,506
    I spatchcocked one last thanksgiving. 18lbs ~2.5 hours. Best turkey I ever had. Doing the same this year but using pecan wood too.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq said:
    I spatchcocked one last thanksgiving. 18lbs ~2.5 hours. Best turkey I ever had. Doing the same this year but using pecan wood too.
    +1 Spatchcock that baby!
    Badger at heart, living in SoCal

Carlsbad, CA
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 448
    A family favorite. The last one was a fresh Butterball I think. It was the best ever so far. I stay away from store brands.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• MickeyMickey Posts: 13,975
    edited October 2013
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,506
    What Mickey said.

Garnerville, NY
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 483
    Applying a liberal coating of salt to the bird is just like brining it. It helps maintain the moisture and won't affect the taste.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

• Thanks for all the advice everyone. Throwing it on tomorrow. Can't wait.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 13,975
    No pictures, it didn't happen X_X
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015