Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Homemade pizza sauce

This sauce is awesome and super easy. I have 9 jars of sauce in the pantry.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 2,850
    Recipe?  We're almost through the 400 Quarts we made last year and looking for something new, especially a good pizza sauce.  Ours is a basic tomato sauce we adjust to whatever we are cooking.
    DSC_0019.JPG
    3872 x 2592 - 2M
    DSC_0032.JPG
    3872 x 2592 - 3M
    Holy tomatoes @Tjcoley! Did you grow all the tomatoes for your sauce extravaganza?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 2,850
    caliking said:
    Holy tomatoes @Tjcoley! Did you grow all the tomatoes for your sauce extravaganza?
    We get them from an Amish farmer next to my DIL's parents house.Along with the garlic, onions and peppers.
    Looks good. May have to give it a try. Thanks.
  • @Tjcoley, it is a bit more chunky than the canned sauce from the store, but once it's on the pie you don't notice. It actually has just a hint of heat when it cooks on the pie. Can't taste it when the sauce is cold.

The only change I made was to add a tsp of lemon juice to each jar instead of adding the juice to the whole batch like the recipe said.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • RRPRRP Posts: 13,006

To each his/her own but I have been making this sauce for at least 10 years and we love it. I make it and freeze it so that the effort is only done once a year, but lasts without freezer burn for months.

RRP’s PIZZA SAUCE<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Based on a recipe from BGE board but altered for our tastes

• 1 oz package of fresh basil

• 3 T dried basil

• 1.5 tea dried oregano

• ¾ cup chardonnay

• ¾ cup fresh minced onion

• 3 tea minced garlic

• 3 T extra virgin olive oil

• 18 Roma tomatoes each cut into 8 pieces

• 1  6oz can of tomato paste

• 2 tea California style garlic salt

• ½ tea freshly ground pepper (about 12 good half grinds PER layer)

IMPORTANT first step: steep the dried basil and dried oregano in the wine for 20 minutes

In a skillet sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until onions turn translucent, stirring frequently.

Using a Dutch oven add tomatoes, paste, onions/garlic and remaining ingredients. I put them in so there are three layers. Cover pot and simmer for 1 hour. Remove form heat and puree in a blender until smooth. Pour back into the Dutch oven minus the lid this time and simmer until the sauce thickens to a consistency of cold catsup.

Package in ½ cup quantities using ZipLoc snack bags. Freeze. Yield will depend on the size of your Romas, but normally this recipe is good for 9 to 12 bags. My pizzas are 12” in diameter so you might want to adjust according to what size you make.

Hint: During the thickening stage cover the pot with a spatter guard as that sauce really pops when it erupts and can make a mess of your stove. BTW this sauce is also good with bread sticks.

Ron
    Dunlap, IL