Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade pizza sauce

Options
This sauce is awesome and super easy. I have 9 jars of sauce in the pantry.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Recipe?  We're almost through the 400 Quarts we made last year and looking for something new, especially a good pizza sauce.  Ours is a basic tomato sauce we adjust to whatever we are cooking.
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Holy tomatoes @Tjcoley! Did you grow all the tomatoes for your sauce extravaganza?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    caliking said:
    Holy tomatoes @Tjcoley! Did you grow all the tomatoes for your sauce extravaganza?
    We get them from an Amish farmer next to my DIL's parents house.Along with the garlic, onions and peppers.
    Options
    Looks good. May have to give it a try. Thanks.
    Options
    @Tjcoley, it is a bit more chunky than the canned sauce from the store, but once it's on the pie you don't notice. It actually has just a hint of heat when it cooks on the pie. Can't taste it when the sauce is cold.

The only change I made was to add a tsp of lemon juice to each jar instead of adding the juice to the whole batch like the recipe said.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options

To each his/her own but I have been making this sauce for at least 10 years and we love it. I make it and freeze it so that the effort is only done once a year, but lasts without freezer burn for months.

RRP’s PIZZA SAUCE<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Based on a recipe from BGE board but altered for our tastes

• 1 oz package of fresh basil

• 3 T dried basil

• 1.5 tea dried oregano

• ¾ cup chardonnay

• ¾ cup fresh minced onion

• 3 tea minced garlic

• 3 T extra virgin olive oil

• 18 Roma tomatoes each cut into 8 pieces

• 1  6oz can of tomato paste

• 2 tea California style garlic salt

• ½ tea freshly ground pepper (about 12 good half grinds PER layer)

IMPORTANT first step: steep the dried basil and dried oregano in the wine for 20 minutes

In a skillet sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until onions turn translucent, stirring frequently.

Using a Dutch oven add tomatoes, paste, onions/garlic and remaining ingredients. I put them in so there are three layers. Cover pot and simmer for 1 hour. Remove form heat and puree in a blender until smooth. Pour back into the Dutch oven minus the lid this time and simmer until the sauce thickens to a consistency of cold catsup.

Package in ½ cup quantities using ZipLoc snack bags. Freeze. Yield will depend on the size of your Romas, but normally this recipe is good for 9 to 12 bags. My pizzas are 12” in diameter so you might want to adjust according to what size you make.

Hint: During the thickening stage cover the pot with a spatter guard as that sauce really pops when it erupts and can make a mess of your stove. BTW this sauce is also good with bread sticks.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.