Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel on a Small

Options
Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have noticed that my daisy wheel only goes on about 1/2-3/4" and is really tight Should I be concerned that with it being tight it "could" cause a crack in the dome from thermal expansion or am I over thinking this? My large is loose fighting but doesn't fall off as long as it is positioned correctly, that is what made me question the fit of the small.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Mine doesn't fit well either, so I never use it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    That's pretty common on Smalls (mine as well).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Thanks guys.

analyze adapt overcome

• wmcguire93
    Options
    I just got my small and the DW fits just like you describe. I doubt there will be an issue with thermal expansion.  If it was a problem, there would be plenty of discussions about it.

I just make sure the wheel is position correctly before I fire it up and I have not had any problems.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• Mattman3969
    Options
    I guess with the small not being a nuclear machine the daisy prolly isn't needed like @caliking said. I will venture that direction

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options
    @wmcguire93 - are you snugging yours or just simply putting it on?

analyze adapt overcome

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Mine fell off just opening it & broke. Watch it! I was able to patch it back together though.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• wmcguire93
    Options
    I snug mine down and make sure it's level when the lid is closed. I also make sure the pivot screw on the top is in line with the Egg spring hinge so the DW top stays in place when I open  the Egg.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    bud812 said:
    Mine fell off just opening it & broke. Watch it! I was able to patch it back together though.
    Wait, your daisy wheel Broke??  

To the OP, if it doesn't fit any better than that, either the DW or the top of the Egg is out of spec, or you have a DW for a Mini.  There would be a danger of cracking as the Egg cools; metal expands much more than ceramic when heated, and the heat of the egg would gradually expand the DW allowing it to settle down further; then, when it cooled, the DW would shrink more than the ceramic and something will have to give.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Does anyone actually have a small daisy wheel that fits correctly? If so what is the inside diameter dimension?

analyze adapt overcome