Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Tailgate Cook

Options
I know this has been asked several times, but need some advice from the forum experts.  Planning a pork cook for a pretty decent size tailgate Friday night.  We are expecting to feed appx 60-75 people.  How much pork should I cook?  I have a large with a two tier system, can I get it done in one overnight cook Thursday night?

Suggestions?

Comments

• SmokinTiger81
    Options

I think the general rule of thumb is divide number of people by 2.3 to get pounds of meat needed.  Going with 75 on high side, that woudl be 32.6 pounds.  So, if I were you, I would get 4 nine pound bone in butts.  I have put that many on adjustable rig before and cooked all 4 at once.  Here is a link to my post on that prior cook:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1240522&catid=1#

• FriscoFrog
    Options

What time do you want to serve the pork? 

I would cook the 4 Butts as SmokingTiger suggested, FTC them for up to 4 hours in heated cooler right up until you want to serve...give yourself some wiggle room for cook time.  Pull onsite in disposable pans in 2 batches at tailgate.  Easy and no mess and simple to transport that way.

Alot will depend on how you are planning on cooking - low and slow or Turbo in terms of when you need to start to be finished in time.

• jjjdempsey
    Options
    Planning on serving at appx 5:45   I was going to go low and slow starting around 10pm Thursday night.  I am guessing I will be done somewhere in the 12-14 hour range and could go straight to FTC until ready to pull. 

Thanks for the suggestions!!