Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Requesting help with brisket aka The Bane of My Existence

Options
Got my largest brisket being served tomorrow. 17 lbs packer from Costco; slim pickens...that or some sub-ten pounders ;)

How long would you guys plan for the cook?

I know it's about 1.5 hours per pound, but didn't know if that's linear, or exponential on timings once they get to certain sizes.

My plan is todo the cook and FTC until dinner, late Monday afternoon. The point will continue to be smoked into burnt ends...

I was thinking about putting it on around 6:00 pm tonight.

Thoughts?

StlScott

Comments

• sstripes96
    Options
    I'm doing my first today. It is a 15 pound packer. I figure about 23 hours (1.5 hours a pound). I'm going to put it on about 1 or 2 pm and left it go until noon (or when the temp is right) tomorrow. Then let it rest for 3 hours. I'm going to foil after the first 8 hours to try and hold onto as much juice as possible.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • s_austin_egger
    Options
    I just did a 12lb from Costco. Took 17 hours and probably could have gone longer if I needed it to. my best one yet. pulled it at 202 IT.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    edited September 2013
    Options
    In my eggsperience it is generally linear but as the hunk of beef heats up you will see a temperature rise on the BGE (with no change in settings) absent any intervention.   Your cook temp will obviously drive the time-around 280*F or so on the dome and I get about 1-1 1/4 hrs/lb.   Lower (250*F or so) and it gets closer to 1 3/4-2 hrs/lb.    And then there are those briskies that have a plan of their own-and finish when they finish.     For me-it's all about the journey, the end-result is the bonus.   Enjoy the cook!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    For me - I always cook brisket around 220-230.   My planning is for 2 hr/pound - start checking it at 195 internal - pull based on Temp and Tenderness (toothpick test).

That has held pretty well for a lot of briskets.

But, an individual piece of meat can throw a curve ball.   Put one on Friday night, it hit internal 195 after a little over 1 hour per pound.   Pulled it when I felt it was done - it was excellent.   Was lunch instead of dinner.   

Cooking for a group you don't have the flexibility to shift eating time by 6 hours.   Most of the time the rule of thumb will hold, just keep in mind there can be variations.

Will I change my planning time because of this one brisket?  No, I think it was just that individual piece of meat.

Cookin in Texas