Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mrs. Toad's Apple Mixture

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi - At Eggfest last year Mrs. Toad (Alyce?) made a mixture of apples, raisins, cranberries, walnuts, and rum and it was outstanding! I can't find the recipe and wondered if anyone had it.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Marilyn Sessions, Mr Toad was kind enough to post this recipe ( a fantastic dish ) so with due credit to Alyce from the last two Eggtoberfests: sliced apples, 6 lbs "canned" ,2 tlbs cinnamon, 1 tlbs nutmeg, 1 stick butter,2 cups dark brown sugar, 3/4 cup raisins dark, 3/4 cup raisins light, 2 cups craisons (dried cranberries). Bake all these indirect, over a platesetter at 350 for 1 1/2 hours in a dutch oven, top off.Then add 2 cups of nuts walnuts or pecans, stir and bake 15 more minutes. Now add 2 cups of dark rum or Chardonney wine. Make sure to keep the dutch oven top open inside the egg as this smoke infusion from the Egg really adds a lot to the flavor....Mr Toad likes to wear an orange hat at Eggtoberfest. He is easily spotted by his signature hat....

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    tn slagamater,[p]Sounds wonderful, but what do you do with it. Is it a dessert ... is it a filling, etc.
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Meinbmw, I would call it more like a casserole. I know that sounds strange, a fruit casserole. I think I noticed that Mr. Toad is cooking it again at this upcoming Eggtoberfest ; be sure to go by and try some.A great winter dish!!

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    tn slagamater,[p]the norbergs stopped by the lodge store today and purchased for me the 7 qt enameled dutch over - we will use it at eggfest[p]looking forward to seeing you again - please leave the hat at home

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    meinbmw,[p]we usually serve this as a side dish when serving pulled pork or ribs[p]always a hit with friends

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large