Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Modifying Old XL Fire Ring to Accept New Plate Setter

Options
This is a call out to all eggheads...  I have an old XL Big Green Egg and I just broke my plate setter but what pissed me off more was that I did it sober.  I have been searching through the post looking to see if anyone has modified their old XL fire ring to accept the new plate setter.  I know i could just cut the legs off but I like the advantages of the longer legged plate setter.  If anyone has done this or has seen a post about this, please share.

Dirty Trucks..Lonely Wives..HAPPY DOGS! XL Big Green Egg...Place Setter...XL Pizza Stone

Comments

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I suggest you look into a Woo from the Ceramic Grill Store. Add a stone to the lower ring for an indirect set up. It's also great for raised direct or searing close to the fire.

A woo and stone will cost about the same as a new plate setter (and there is no need to chip away at your fire ring).

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited August 2013
    Options
    If you have a dremel they sell the tile cutting bit it will cut notches in the fire ring easy. I did it to my mini to take the new platesetter same deal but smaller egg. I just posted photos recently of cutting out the notches.