Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken dinner tonight - getting closer

Options
The best grilled chicken I have ever done was on my Weber kettle.  Dark and crispy skin, nice smoke flavor, 40 minutes for pieces, an hour for whole fryers.  I am trying to at least duplicate the cook on my BGE.  First try was raised grid direct without a drip pan.  I was not pleased with the results.  Tonight I used the plate setter with a drip pan.  Cooked a 6 lb chicken which I spatchcocked.  First of all, it took a long time to get the egg up to 375 where I wanted it.  Secondly, the overall cook took 1-1/2 hours which is a bit long.  I had a big hunk of Apple on top of the coals for smoke, but I think the smoke was done by the time the grill was hot.  I threw two Idaho potatoes on, and did Brussel Sprouts and some wax beans in foil for the last half hour.

Bottom line, it was very good, but not quite what I am aiming for.  Next test will be raised grate with just a drip pan - no plate setter.  Looking at pics of some other cooks, it looks like that is a common approach.  Suggestions?
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most the guys on here do raised direct at 375° for spatchy chicken, no plate setter. Here is the inspired word of whiz: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I do mine the way @Chris_Wang says. In terms of the total time... cooking on the egg is not necessarily the quickest way to cook due to the time it can take to get to your target temp.

Also, other than adding your vegetables are you opening the lid at all during the cook? If so, you want to avoid that.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I'm not worried about the skin as the family doesn't eat it. I usually go indirect with a pan of vegetables underneath. The other night I went raised direct with veggies on also. Crispy skin... I did have a pan underneath the chicken.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN