Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does the table make it harder to bring up temp on the egg?

Options
I am new to cooking on the large egg. I had the nest to begin with. I could quickly get the temp up to 600, but as soon as we put the egg on the table I can barely get the temp to 450 which takes about 45 min. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I would not think so. It's all about airflow tone bottom vent and the top. If they are not restricted it could be something else. For example damp lump.

Garnerville, NY
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    I have no problem getting up to 600 - clean out the Egg properly ensuring there is no coals or ash blocking the air flow and you should be good to go.
  • Sfwilliams
    Options
    Will give that a try.....thanks
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    Yeah, I don't see how it's possible.  I have my eggs behind closed doors and it doesn't even make a difference.  As stated, it is probably ash in the vent holes.  ALso, charcoal is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture from the atmoshpere.  So, if you had charcoal sitting in the egg for a while with high ambient humidity outside, that too can serisouly affect your burn temps and ease of lighting the charcoal.  
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    No - the only reason you'll have that problem is blocked air flow from the bottom vent - most of the time when I have that problem it is because the grate that the lump sits on is clogged with small pieces of coal or ash - clean that out and there should not be a problem - the table has nothing to do with it as long as you haven't somehow covered the bottom vent
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No, a table would not make a difference on getting up to temps with vents open and good lump. A table can, depending on the design, provide a windshield that may produce different result for a low and slow than you experienced with a nest. As others noted, check your air holes....and make sure there is not significant ash build-up between the fire box and the base walls. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Sfwilliams
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I cleaned it the ash very well and it is working perfectly again!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Oxygen and fuel. Only two things that can prevent fire from getting hot. Not enough air or no lump or wet lump. Glad you got it figured out. Prob the number one question on the forum. Buy a high que grate and you will never have the problem again
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013