Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Rain or Snow ?

All

I live in the UK so the question I have is regarding the weather

IS it OK to use the BGE when it is raining ?

My concern is that I set up some long and slow and then find that the weather changes from warm to rain

Cold rain hitting hot ceramic dome.... is it a problem ?

·

Comments

• No.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Nope...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 640
    No problems either rain or snow.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,174
    One of the greatest sounds in the world... the egg snickering at whatever the weather is doing as it chugs along.

·
  • Cheers everyone
    ·
  • StlScottStlScott Posts: 77
    Echoing everyone else...

The one caveat being ice. While cooking during sleet isn't an issue, if your egg is not covered, it can/will ice over. That makes it darn near impossible to open at the risk of damaging your gasket.

Assuming you can get the bottom vent open, a quick light to the underside of the charcoal typically is enough to get it going...assuming you have good/dry lump in there.

StlScott
    ·
  • Also works through tropical storms and hurricanes.  No problem.  Although it's easier if you light it before the storm arrives...
    Mamaroneck
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,418
    One of the factory tests performed on eggs according to our distributor is they run an egg up to a stable 750 degrees and then dump ice water on it to see how it reacts! I live in the Midwest in the US and I have fired up my egg when the temperature was -11. You'll be fine!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,215
    My egg's nickname is the mailman. It always delivers.
    ·
  • Posted in root.  You are awesome.  I like to click on the topic...  Did you know you can subscribe (RSS) to feeds when you see a magical root post?

Super-user, you may egg all climates, and enjoy a pint of bitters.

Root

Root of category tree. Users should never see this.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
  • Rocket15Rocket15 Posts: 41
    Go to my thread "Eggin in the Rain" (put this in search).  It will give you a good picture for your answer.
    ·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 669

Until the playoffs?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
  • Big problem, the newspaper for the chimney will get wet.
    ·
  • Great pictures Rocket15
    ·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,030
    Acn said:

Until the playoffs?
    Ouch.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,009

I could never use that nickname being from Canada. Our postal idiots go on strike all the time so Id be lying if I said what you did.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Sledder, Quadder, Rock and Roller, Big Green Egg Smoker.

·