Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tree bark in Royal Oak

Options
A couple of bags from Walmart have had some 3x6 inch pieces of tree bark. They had been heated, but didnt seem as carbonized or dry as lump. I figured they'd be good to put on the hi que to keep the smaller pieces of lump from falling through. Do most people use them or toss them when they find them?

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I'd burn anything that's in the bag (except for the occasional rock).
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SleepyHollow77
    Options
    How common is getting rocks? All I can think about is Charlie Brown in the great Pumpkin
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I find a small one once in a while; no big thing.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I got my first bag of RO in awhile and it was full of bark pieces. I ended up picking them out because they kept smoking.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

It's pretty common.  That being said... 

Flint, Michigan
  • SleepyHollow77
    Options
    Nice pic! Too bad we couldn't photo shop thatinto a bag of RO
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I dump and never know what extra stuff was in it till I clean out. That being said I have only found 1 chunk of concrete and it was in Kowboy lump

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I find a few in my RO as well. Burn it up!
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • SleepyHollow77
    Options
    Maybe I'll get Jimmy hoffa in a bag
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

From our FAQ's:

Why did I find something in my bag that isn’t charcoal?

Sorry about that! We strive to remove all foreign matter during the bagging process, but sometimes pieces sneak by.

Why? Well, a lot can happen to a tree in its lifetime. People sometimes nail items to them, shoot at them, or run fencing around them. And because trees are constantly growing, objects lodged in trees can easily become encased, creating “knots.” Knots are undesirable in the lumber industry, so they’re often made into charcoal. Objects often remain grafted inside the charcoal chunks, which is why they’re only found once the charcoal becomes ash.

If you’ve found an object in your charcoal, please tell us! Some customers have found arrowheads, coins, and other fun “prizes.” If it’s anything of value, we’ll gladly take it off of your hands!

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @stlcharcoal

Nice write up man!! I get a kick out of some rocks and things out of my lump. But when you realize how charcoal is made it's no surprise why there is some junk stuff found. I threw a softball seized rock in the woods about a month ago I found in my egg. I just dump my lump in expect the very bottom of the bag.

XLBGE 
  • Gooey1
    Gooey1 Posts: 96
    Options
    I enjoy the prizes that come in the lump. I have a collection of rocks from R.O. I consider them imported into Canada. I have had a few bark ones and they do smoke like crazy. Extra flavour?
    "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes............. Well, he eats you"