Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about Raised Direct

Options
Hey everyone, I've had my new LBGE for about a month and I'm loving it.  I'm still a novice but I'm trying to learn.  So far I've been sticking to basics (burgers, pork chops, chicken breasts, etc) but I'd like to branch out soon.  I enjoy reading your tips and recipes, but sometimes the terminology can be confusing for a newbie.  When someone refers to "raised direct" does that mean the grid should simply sit on top of the standard fire ring, or does it mean it should be raised in the dome even more than that?  If it should be raised even more, how do you recommend doing that? Sorry for the elementary question and thanks for your help!

Comments

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Raised above the fire ring - usually with aftermarket equipment that offers a variety of heights and grid options.  Works great for things like chicken wings.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Cooking this chicken quesadilla raised direct on the small right now.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I've been using 3 pavers on top of the fire ring, then the grid atop that. I grabbed them from my yard so I wrapped them in foil and left them in the egg during a low and slow to cook out any moisture. Wet rocks explode when thrown in a fire so I didn't want to chance that on a high heat cook. Others use fire bricks.
    Dunedin, FL
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Posted wrong pic, doing it from phone so...

Don't know how to rotate this one, but it gives you a better idea.

• smb4ua
    smb4ua Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks everyone!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    There are so many different ways to achieve a raised grid. You could get an Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store which would be the most expensive but also the most versatile. Several folks use empty beer cans or firebricks  on the fire ring with a grid on top of that or you could buy you and extra grid for Lowes or Home Depot attach 3-4 longer bolts and set it on your existing grid. I almost forgot about the PSwoo3 that will let you cook raised direct and will also accept your plate setter if you have one for indirect cooks. This option is a good way to lift your hot plate setter out for searing. 

I has the PSwoo3 and a homemade rig that I made before I bought the woo. Here is the homemade rig

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options

As mentioned, direct is with the cooking grate on the fire ring about 3 " below the gasket.  Raised direct is sorting out how to get the cooking grid at least to the gasket line and sometimes beyond.  As long as the cooking surface is "seeing" the burning lump you are cooking "direct".  Indirect cooking means that you put a heat shield between the food on the cooking grid and the lump.  Some use a platesetter for this others use after market products or some fire bricks.

And just to add miscellaneous info to the thread:

• Most likely with indirect ( heat deflector in place) cooks the dome thermo will run about 20-40*f higher than the grate when starting out.  Longer the dome is shut the less the temp difference.  On direct cooks, the grate will get the full measure of heat from the lump and the dome will be lower than the cooking surface.  Raised grid- gets you further from the lump and closer to the dome temp.  FWIW; YMMV.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    AR is awesome with extender and slide guide.Just YouTube ceramic grill store to see !!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • nick_banich
    Options
    Anyone know when the pswoo3 is going to be available again?
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Here's a picture of a raised direct cook using the Adjustable rig from ceramic grill store. You can see how the top grate is above the gasket level.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

And just for giggles, here's a multi-level cook. This one is indirect because I was using the oval ceramic stone on the bottom level. On top of the AR, I used the BGE grate extender jsut to get more chicken on, but it show you two levels both above the gasket level.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings