Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt done way too early

Options
I am cooking 4 8lb pork butts. They have been on since 6 last night. And not a smooth night. Temps fluctuated allot from 180 to 270. Anyways one butt is reading 201 and is like butta. I need to pull this one off to FTC but its way to early. Not eating to 6. 10 hours from now. Do I FTC for an hour than put int the fridge? How can I restore it to fresh tasting meat at 6? I have never had a 8lb butt only take 12 hours and with low cooking temps. I hope he rest go to noon but I doubt it. First time for boneless as well maybe they cook faster?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Foil it for an hour or so just to gather juices in the bottom of the foil, and so its cool enough that when pulled less moisture goes up in vapor.

I prefer plastic bagging the pulled meat w. the collected juices, and a little sauce and/or butter. Generally I use a double sip bag, and force as much air out as possible. I press the bags rather flat so they will chill more efficiently, and then into the fridge. A few hours before serving, I pre-heat a slow cooker with water to about 160F. Then drop the bags into the water to reheat. For reasons of safety, let the meat get to at least 140 or more for more than an hour.

FWIW, I had one but that was done in 54 min/pound.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    One option would be to wrap would be to FTC it for a few hours, then transfer it (still in foil) to the oven on the lowest setting (mine will go to 170) until it it is time to pull.  The downside is it will take up your oven and you may have other plans for it.  

Second option would be to go ahead and pull the pork and put it in ziploc bags and plan to reheat later.  You may find you don't need all the pork anyway, so you could consider this the "back-up" pork and only heat it if you go through all the other butts.  Or, for your "true friends"...the ones that hang out until 4 in the morning, use that pork for pulled pork nachos around 2 AM ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Ahh great ideas thanks. I will let it so for a few hours then pull and vacuseal and into he fridge for backup.

Supposedly 40 adults coming plus kids and of course he weather forecasters (absolutely clueless) blew this forecast. It is raining and will be most of he day. Forecast was for 85 and sunny all week until his morning.

Garnerville, NY
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have removed one that was "way too early" before... just Foiled it, wrapped in 2-3 towels (beach towels come in handy for this) and dropped into a cooler for 3-4hrs.  When I took it out, it was still almost too hot to handle and pulled like butter... Dang was it good!!!