Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Eastman Big Kahuna

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GISCDK/ref=asc_df_B003GISCDK1983864?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B003GISCDK&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=878700301694532992&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this puppy?

I'm looking for a high-BTU portable burner to wok on. Sometimes I don't feel like going through the motions of starting up the egg, and want something that will get me there quicker, or something I can use if I'm cooking something else on the egg.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 15,651
    i use one like this with the flat top, it came with the turkey fry pans, a smaller chicken fry pan etc. what i like about it is the flat top, very stable with a dutch oven, ci fry pan, big pot for seafood boils, i have a piece of 8 inch (i think its 8 inch) pipe that sits on top for the wok. its pretty indestructible. the top of the one you picked looks to be less usable for a bunch of other style cooks, i prefer the flat top and avoid the ones with a hoop to supprt the pot as it causes other problems. i use mine mostly for big lobster cooks when the price goes down below 3 bucks a pound

.http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP10-High-Pressure-Outdoor/dp/B000291GBQ
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 5,277
    edited August 2013
    I guess I'm the other camp from @fishlessman, mine is used only for a wok, but then we don't do lobster.
    Mine is an older Eastman (garage sale), fixed legs. it has a similar three point support for the cooking vessel as the one you show. I don't wok on my egg because I find for the cooks I do there is no easy temp control. The burner is ideal, from 5,000 BTU to over 50,000 BTU in seconds. Only way to go for outdoor stir fry. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go with the Eastman... I like that it has a tripod so I can keep my wok at waist level.

I think this thing will take the hassle out of my wokking. Love my egg, but I don't really feel like going through the motions for what amounts to be 3 to 5 minutes of cooking.
  • Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go with the Eastman... I like that it has a tripod so I can keep my wok at waist level.

I think this thing will take the hassle out of my wokking. Love my egg, but I don't really feel like going through the motions for what amounts to be 3 to 5 minutes of cooking.
    I bought two of these eastman big kahuna wok kits a few years ago. Both came with the 22" carbon steel wok which has to be seasoned. I bought them as store returns and only paid a fraction of what they cost. I think I paid $20 something for one and 30 something for the other. I'm just getting around to trying one out. Someone has come up with a high pressure propane add on check youtube. Don't know if it's like an accelerator pedal or what but I think it can be added to eastman setup for true high temp wok cooking.

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go with the Eastman... I like that it has a tripod so I can keep my wok at waist level.

Check into the 22" stainless wok by eastman for less hassle,
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 983
    I just ordered one of these.   I have seen local restaurants use them and know they get very hot very fast.  Easy to store, minimal setup. I have a table for my egg, so this will go on there when I use it either with or instead of the egg.  I ordered the gas canisters from Amazon, but they are available locally from restaurant supply houses and oriental groceries.
    XLBGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY