Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Mid Week Low & Slow

hapsterhapster Posts: 7,204
Heading up to NW PA for a golf putting with all the guys from my wife's side of the family. Leaving early Friday morning.
I've gotten requests to bring my egg LOL. Not gonna happen. Going to do the next best thing.

Going in a little while to pick up 3 bone in butts. Going with Bad Byron's and oak. Cooking them tomorrow evening into Thursday morning, pulling them, and putting them into the 2gal zip lock bags for traveling. Going to get some simple hamburger rolls as well.

Can't wait... BBQ, big fish fry of lake perch, golf, cigars, bourbon. Weather looks great, sunny in the low 70's with lows in the 50's.

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    edited July 2013
    Sounds like a great time Hap. Enjoy!
    Have a great time, golf, sticks, food and good friends - doesn't get much better.....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • gabrieggergabriegger Posts: 469
    My oh my sounds like a big ol' time. I think I'm related somehow but didn't get the invitation. Could you forward the location? I promise to behave.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,284
    FTC the butts before pull . . .
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,310

hapster said:
    Heading up to NW PA for a golf putting with all the guys from my wife's side of the family. Leaving early Friday morning. I've gotten requests to bring my egg LOL. Not gonna happen. Going to do the next best thing. Going in a little while to pick up 3 bone in butts. Going with Bad Byron's and oak. Cooking them tomorrow evening into Thursday morning, pulling them, and putting them into the 2gal zip lock bags for traveling. Going to get some simple hamburger rolls as well. Can't wait... BBQ, big fish fry of lake perch, golf, cigars, bourbon. Weather looks great, sunny in the low 70's with lows in the 50's.
    to me the next best thing would be a 2nd smaller egg to travel with.  I guess your plan works too.
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,204
    Since I don't have a travel egg at this point; though I may convince the cousins to get one for camp...

Here are some pics of the cook beginnings. Currently the grid is 252 on the Mav and the oak smoke smells wonderful.

First test of a low and slow for the new lump.

Loaded and lit... About 21lbs before trimming and smoking

imageimage
    image.jpg 670.6K
    Couple more pics

imageimage
    image.jpg 843.1K
    image.jpg 878K
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 1,030
    Looking great!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    When I grow up, I want to be like Hapster.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

shtgunal3 said:
    When I grow up, I want to be like Hapster.
    LOL... be careful what you wish for
  • How many butts ya got on there? I'm having a large crowd over in a few weeks and want to have enough for everyone and enough if people want doggy bags. I have the same set up as you in that pic.

XLBGE 
  • Never mind, see it in the pics when I zoomed in.

Good luck! Keep the pics coming man

XLBGE 
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,585
    Looking good Hap. Please post pics of your glass and stick. Thanks in advance
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Chubbs said:
    Looking good Hap. Please post pics of your glass and stick. Thanks in advance
    Thanks... pouring rain, so no sticks yet. And it was kind of busy night so I didn't even get a chance to sip anything either ( not that it'll help, my liver will likely take a beating this weekend)

I think I am into an extended or 2nd stall currently, no worries though
  • OVERULDOVERULD Posts: 47
    Looks like a great cook in progress.  Jealous of your weekend - sounds like a lot of fun.  Enjoy it!

BJ
    Men of integrity expect to be believed, but when they aren't, they allow time to prove them right.
    Here's what they looked like a few hours ago

image.jpg 969.1K
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,710
    Looks great! Can't wait to see the results. I'm also smoking up 3 butts and a few racks of ribs for my wife's birthday party next weekend.
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,703
    Looks great Hap, hitem straight!

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

• Man!  That looks good. That is some serious action for a mid-weeker.  Enjoy the weekend!
    Thanks everyone...

Going to pull them in a little while after about 4 hours of FTO... (in the oven, not turned on)

Trying something new... going to mix in some finely chopped Vidalia onions, maybe just do half with and half without. Sauce is a 50/50 mix of Famous Dave's Rich & Sassy and Devil's Spit.