Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone use 2High Que Grates Perpendicularly?

Options
Hello,
Just curious.  I am considering purchasing one of these.  It seems the biggest complaint is smaller lump falling through.  I wonder if arranging 2 of the grates and placing them perpendicular to each other would do a better job of holding the small lump and still provide good air flow.

Anyone out there try this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I never saw the need. It's true small pieces of lump fall through, but during the cook they burn under the grate and contibute their energy that way. Small pieces that fall through and don't burn (when you shut down your egg) would probably clog the stock grate so I never worried about "wasting lump".
    Flint, Michigan
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    I am sitting here trying to visualize if there is a real issue here that needs to be corrected. If there is lump charcoal so small it is falling through the HighQue grate, then so long and farewell to it. Lump that small will be burning up so quickly....I did not think you will miss it. 

The purpose of the HighQue is for maximum air flow. I guess your idea will help save some dinky charcoal from falling through, but not every problem requires a solution. Actually, I do not think there is a problem.

Sorry for being so crabby.

Springram
    Spring, Texas

LBGE and Mini
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    +1 with Springram
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    HighQue is a good buy. You dont want the small charcoal anyway. Buying two is a waste of $. Just leave the stock grate in and it will serve the same purpose. I say buy one and use the other money for some meat to cook
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    edited July 2013
    Options

My fire grates in the Med and Large are expanded stainless steel which solves this problem.  It's not so much that the charcoal is so small it falls through, but plenty of long slivers falls through.

I have two 18.5" Weber grates in my XL, perpendicular and tack welded to form a cross hatch.

• arango1
    arango1 Posts: 10
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Ok, done, I ordered one.   I am looking forward to easier and quicker light ups!  Thanks for the input.