Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Experiment #2: Chorizo-Stuffed Chicken Breasts

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,494
Last weekend I tried a chicken recipe with chorizo sausage stuffed under the skin.  I loved the flavor of it, but I'm not too handy with whole chickens and didn't get any sausage flavor on the thighs or legs.  
This weekend I decided to try chicken breasts alone.  Instead of sliding the chorizo under the skin, I went with bone-in but skinless breasts, and slashed the meat against the grain to hold the sausage, hoping the sausage grease would permeate the meat better.  I also wondered if I should cook the sausage in a frypan a bit first, to get rid of excess grease and ensure the chorizo was fully cooked.  Since I had two breasts, I did one each way; the one on the left is stuffed with raw sausage and the one on the right with cooked (you can't really see a difference, I used a toothpick in one to keep track).  

Cooked to 165:  

The chorizo didn't seem any different in either breast, BUT the breast with the raw sausage absorbed a lot more flavor (more grease!), plus it was easier to work with and one less dirty pan.  
Because the chorizo sat in slits in the top of the breasts, I knew I wouldn't be flipping them so chose indirect head.  Going skinless was a mistake, the surface of the chicken was a bit dry and leathery (still perfectly edible, however).  Next time I'll either peel the skin back, slash the meat, stuff, and lay the skin back over the breast; or just slash through the skin and stuff (they do look kinda neat with the bright red slashes).  
It's getting closer.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

Comments