Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

BBQ Scotch Eggs

2»

Comments

• GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,460
    Yep, reheat them in a microwave. I slice them in slices for easy heating. I have also sliced them in half cut side down on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven. I have served them with a cream sauce and also sliced them for on an English muffin. It just depends on where we are and what is available. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • Jim, I did cut mine Into quarters and halves. They didn't all look great but people loved them. We didn't use syrup but that would be an interesting way to go.
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
    ·
  • SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 414
    Update! Apparently I threw away my bracket. I checked my box (ba-zing, @caleracefan) and it wasn't there.

I made a batch of scotch eggs using the above method. At 250, it took almost 2.5 hours to get up to temp. I don't wield a thermapen yet, so that could be the issue. Upon tasting them, they were a bit more done than I expected. Outside of the cooking time, these were dynamite! My co-workers loved them. This will definitely be a standby recipe!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

·
  • HotchHotch Posts: 1,477

I believe a young man served this up at the Salado Egg Fest this year. The first time I had ever had one. I am a hard boiled egg junkie. These were great!

He had cut them in half if I remember correctly. Mickey may remember.

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 968
    Thanks for the help everyone. Certainly has me thinking.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
  • TommyboyTommyboy Posts: 7
    You have officially ruined every other morning tailgate idea.
    ·
    Thanks, but I am not going to take the "blame" for that one. There are so many equally fun things for breakfast. I was amazed at some of the creative dishes people turned out the NewEgglandFest for breakfast. Besides if you go by Naked Whiz, it is not traditionally a breakfast food in it's native England. So use that as an excuse to still make other things for breakfast.

You know that gave me a great idea: Why doesn't someone write a cookbook that focuses on cool breakfast dishes you can make on the Egg? I'll even suggest a possible title: Egg for Breakfast. No charge to use the title, just send me a copy of the finished book.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,585
    Because in stupid... Buy the cased sausage and open... Patty them out?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    edited July 2013
    henapple said:
    I substituted ground Italian Sweet Sausage when I made these. But the original recipe called for you to buy 2 lbs. of Italian Sweet Sausage (cased) and to slit them open and remove the meat. You then form the meat into patties before using the 1/4" thick patties to wrap around the medium boiled eggs.

And I'd never dream of calling you stupid.

Jim
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,980
    henapple said:

I've done it that way before, using Owen's breakfast sausage, or Jimmy Dean's. Can't member which one. Works fine.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,585
    Just bought some sweet Italian sausage.. Jim, I can be pretty stupid but after 6 pbrs I feel so much smarter...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    You own a BGE so no one is gonna tell me you are stupid. Good luck to you and anyone else trying these out. I think you're in for a treat.
    ·
  • EggdamEggdam Posts: 218
    Thanks for the recipe.  I tried these out this weekend and they were awesome.  I will be making these again for sure.
    ·
  • "No, I'm not a cook but I did drink entirely too many beers at a Holiday Inn Express last night..."
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
    ·
    Glad you liked it @Eggdam. I am curious, did you use the maple syrup in the meat mixture or as a topping?
    ·