Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Scotch Eggs

Options
2»

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Yep, reheat them in a microwave. I slice them in slices for easy heating. I have also sliced them in half cut side down on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven. I have served them with a cream sauce and also sliced them for on an English muffin. It just depends on where we are and what is available. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Jim, I did cut mine Into quarters and halves. They didn't all look great but people loved them. We didn't use syrup but that would be an interesting way to go.
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Update! Apparently I threw away my bracket. I checked my box (ba-zing, @caleracefan) and it wasn't there.

I made a batch of scotch eggs using the above method. At 250, it took almost 2.5 hours to get up to temp. I don't wield a thermapen yet, so that could be the issue. Upon tasting them, they were a bit more done than I expected. Outside of the cooking time, these were dynamite! My co-workers loved them. This will definitely be a standby recipe!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I believe a young man served this up at the Salado Egg Fest this year. The first time I had ever had one. I am a hard boiled egg junkie. These were great!

He had cut them in half if I remember correctly. Mickey may remember.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. Certainly has me thinking.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Tommyboy
    Tommyboy Posts: 7
    Options
    You have officially ruined every other morning tailgate idea.
  • jfm0830
    Options
    Thanks, but I am not going to take the "blame" for that one. There are so many equally fun things for breakfast. I was amazed at some of the creative dishes people turned out the NewEgglandFest for breakfast. Besides if you go by Naked Whiz, it is not traditionally a breakfast food in it's native England. So use that as an excuse to still make other things for breakfast.

You know that gave me a great idea: Why doesn't someone write a cookbook that focuses on cool breakfast dishes you can make on the Egg? I'll even suggest a possible title: Egg for Breakfast. No charge to use the title, just send me a copy of the finished book.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Because in stupid... Buy the cased sausage and open... Patty them out?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jfm0830
    edited July 2013
    Options
    henapple said:
    I substituted ground Italian Sweet Sausage when I made these. But the original recipe called for you to buy 2 lbs. of Italian Sweet Sausage (cased) and to slit them open and remove the meat. You then form the meat into patties before using the 1/4" thick patties to wrap around the medium boiled eggs.

And I'd never dream of calling you stupid.

Jim
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    henapple said:

I've done it that way before, using Owen's breakfast sausage, or Jimmy Dean's. Can't member which one. Works fine.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Just bought some sweet Italian sausage.. Jim, I can be pretty stupid but after 6 pbrs I feel so much smarter...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jfm0830
    Options
    You own a BGE so no one is gonna tell me you are stupid. Good luck to you and anyone else trying these out. I think you're in for a treat.
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe.  I tried these out this weekend and they were awesome.  I will be making these again for sure.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    "No, I'm not a cook but I did drink entirely too many beers at a Holiday Inn Express last night..."
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • jfm0830
    Options
    Glad you liked it @Eggdam. I am curious, did you use the maple syrup in the meat mixture or as a topping?