Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newby here / Dome Thermometer Height

Options
Hi everyone.  I've had my small BGE for a couple of weeks now and I'm loving it!  I've done a beautiful prime rib, spatchcock chicken and a pork butt. (Here's my pics of the pork butt.)   After studying this forum, I applied all the advice and I have to say they all turned out pretty well, except for the chicken which I thought was perhaps a little too smoky.  My woo ring just arrived and I'm realizing that the dome thermometer will now probably stick in the chicken and/or big meat pieces when I do them and I'm wondering if the temp reading will be correct if I put the clip on the outside to raise the thermometer so it is higher.  Anyone have any comments or answers for me on this?  Just curious and new so thinking it through before my next cook.  Thanks!

Comments

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Welcome and nice pictures. Sorry that I am both too new as well as have no experience with a woo so I can't help.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    I wouldn't think it would make any difference as long as the probe from the thermo is still sticking far enough into the Egg to get a reading.  What I would do is leave it like it is, get your Egg to a good steady temp, then remove the thermo and reinstall it like you are saying.  Then give it a few minutes to adjust and see if you get pretty much the same reading.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Just loosen the thermometer up completely and don't worry about it. Get a maverick and monitor the grate temp with that.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • JonFL
    JonFL Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks, good advice....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Here's what a lot of us do - take the thermometer clip off and throw it away.  Then, optionally, put a section of cork as a space on the thermometer on the outside of the egg so the probe doesn't stick in so much.  If you close it down on something like a chicken, it will just pop out and not pierce the food (or break something).