Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Does flank steak really need to marinade for 6 hours?

I kind if wanted to eat it to oft, can only marinade for 3
·

Comments

• fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 877
    Meant tonight
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,003
    The longer you marinate the more tender it will get.  Should be fine.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·

There are several great stuffed flank steak recipes that don't require mainating.

Waunakee, WI

·
    The blue cheese and carmalized onion flank steak in the Better Homes and Garden "Grill It!" book is awesome.

Waunakee, WI

·
  • 3 hrs is better than none. You'll be fine with 3.

·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,056
    30 minutes is enough
    ·
  • Wchapman74Wchapman74 Posts: 50
    couldn't you separate some of the marinade and coat the meat when your done grilling it?
    ·
  • khristyjeffkhristyjeff Posts: 154
    Marinated one tonight for an hour and it was tender and delicious.  We've been buying Choice grade from Aldi, cooked to medium and of course sliced thin across the grain.  You probably already know that, though.  Good luck! 
    ·
  • JamieoroJamieoro Posts: 180
    3 hours is just fine!
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,454
    I pull it from fridge and marinade for 30 mins on counter while egg is getting ready. More flavorful in 6 hours but not necessary
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 416
    edited July 2013
    If you have a vacuum sealer use that to pull a vacuum on your flank steak in the marinade and it will draw it right into the meat. Then three hours will be more than enough.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,588
    Flat iron...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 877

Did 3 hours marinade last night. Cooked via the NIbble me this instructions. (3 minutes each side at 500, then 2 min each side).

Tenderness/doneness was spot on, best yet. Flavor sucked. Tried a different marinade recipe and didn't really like it. Was a citrus marinade I saw on here form a couple years back. Both the wife and I like the teriyaki marinade we use on flank steaks much more. Will do that next time for 6 hours.

·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,878
    2 or more hours or overnight is sufficient.  I like to poke mine with a jaccard and then marinate.
    ·