Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Sagging?

Options
So I built a table last year with the design from Naked Whiz. This weekend during the 4th of July cook my Brother In law commented that the table appeared to be sagging in the middle. We used clear lumber and verified straightness of wood so I don't think it is the wood itself. Has anyone else had issues with the design of the Naked Whiz tables sagging or am I just a fluke?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Probably need some pics but off the top sounds like a structural problem. What is the length? How many legs? What type wood? You could place 2 support legs in the center.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    If there is no picture did the table really sag?

Ok all kidding aside, it depends on so many factors. Type of wood, climate, type of finish. I sell furniture for a living an wood is its own creature, it was a living creature so cupping, warping over the time of a year is not uncommon especially in an outdoor setting. I built my table out of oak and poplar last June and it is still semi straight but I got some cracking and a few top boards warped from the dry climate here
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    I live in the PNW, used cedar. pictures really wouldn't show much. sagging on the lower shelf where the egg sits. Sagging in the middle, maybe a strong 1/8" in the whole thing. Think I will just throw some supports under it when I get the chance.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Preload it by putting a car jack under the center of the bottom shelf.  Then sister some 2x4s on the inside of the bottom shelf rails using screws and some glue.  Remove the jack.  You should be good to go.
    Options
    ive seen pics of a diagonal board being put in back from the upper corner to the middle of the lower shelf to offset the weight of the egg a bit
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    If it is sagging it is due to poor design.  Spend a few more bucks and use the best material you can afford.  A large egg with all the toys is quite heavy.  We then put 50 lbs of meat and lump in it.  You should not be using 1 by material for any of the framing.  I use 2 x 8  southern pine and rip the boards to a clean 6 inches wide.  All my verticals are 4 x 4's and all fasteners are stainless.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!